6.5x47 Lapua for Whitetail (and a story behind it)

I also decided to hunt with a 6.5x47 Lapua but shoot the Berger 140 hybrid. It is running at 2850fps with a generous load of h4350. So generous that I drop tube it in to seat without a lot of crunch. The barrel is a retired match but still very accurate CBI 26 inch Remage. The CBI has a generous throat to get the 140 hybrid seated above the brass shoulder junction, which sits .020 off the lands. Our muzzle loading season is still in here in Central North Carolina but when it is over, I will see what the ole 6.5 will do. Good luck hunting this season!

Thanks, actually had some varget loads loaded up and waiting for testing. Mine all have a .170 throat so have a lot of room in case. Hoping these will perk for me like they have for you.

The PRS shooters using the 6.5x47 and 140 grain bullets, mostly are using Varget as well I noticed. Their load data is also out on the net for the most part. Great cartridge.

This is a really great thread. I shot 6.5x47L for about 5 years. Killed everything from a chicken to a gemsbok. Seriously contemplating going back to it. No it's not the fastest 6.5mm but you cannot argue how easy it is to load for and the brass is top notch. I had over 30 firing on multiple barrels.

Joe S

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.