6.5x47 Lapua Bullets on a Budget

Hey Beeman,
What kinda of speeds are you getting with the 124 HH?
Thanks
Not sure. Sorry. Did a quick load development last fall that took eight shots. Still need to chronograph it. My RBros 6.5x47 shoots the 130 Berger at 2950 FPS. This gun was shooting the 130 Accubond at just under 2900 FPS. I'm using the same load so I'd think 2900 plus FPS. 25" benchmark.

I've been using the 147 eld for a few years in 6.5 addiction, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5x47. The first 2k box and all the 100 count boxes were basically interchangeable. However, this last 2k box was a different bearing surface length and to get the same jump has to be seated .015 deeper. That and the increased bearing surface caused a lot of load rework. I had shot Berger or JLK for 10-15 years years before that in all my match ammo and went to the eldm to save money. However, I never had to rework all my loads with the Bergers.

The 147s and 123s that I have used have been accurate at all distances, so I have no complaints there. I will add that the BC that is advertised is higher than I've seen from any of my rifles. I usually have to turn the form factor up to between 1.05 and 1.10 to get it to match or come close to my drops.

My son has dropped 4 or 5 deer with eldms. They didn't have time to complain.

I am moving away from the eld for my match loads just because of the consistency. However, for the price I will continue to shoot them for practice or in rifles I don't want to bother with multiple loads for, ie a match load, a hunting load, and a practice load.

I've been using the 147 eld for a few years in 6.5 addiction, 6.5 creedmoor, and 6.5x47. The first 2k box and all the 100 count boxes were basically interchangeable. However, this last 2k box was a different bearing surface length and to get the same jump has to be seated .015 deeper. That and the increased bearing surface caused a lot of load rework. I had shot Berger or JLK for 10-15 years years before that in all my match ammo and went to the eldm to save money. However, I never had to rework all my loads with the Bergers.

The 147s and 123s that I have used have been accurate at all distances, so I have no complaints there. I will add that the BC that is advertised is higher than I've seen from any of my rifles. I usually have to turn the form factor up to between 1.05 and 1.10 to get it to match or come close to my drops.

My son has dropped 4 or 5 deer with eldms. They didn't have time to complain.

I am moving away from the eld for my match loads just because of the consistency. However, for the price I will continue to shoot them for practice or in rifles I don't want to bother with multiple loads for, ie a match load, a hunting load, and a practice load.
Awesome news, did any comments or things you have noticed with the amount of jump these ELD-M's like. I feel like when I started them on the lands they hated it and the further I was getting away from the lands the more my groups tightened up. Any sweet spot?

The 130 eldm at x47 speeds will work on deer. Another
bullet option is the 140 match burner from Barnes. The BC is as advertised on the 112 and and 145, so I imagine the 140 has to be close as well. They're cheap to boot, 25¢ per bullet if you get a box of 500.

I use 130gr Sierra GAMECHANGER bullets. They are not too expensive and very accurate in my 6.5x47

Sierra makes a 130 TGK and a TMK that are fairly cost effective. Also the 107 grain Matchking and TMK aren't any slouches either and are less expensive yet. If you just want range bullets, I'd pick the 107's. A bit less in the BC department but the extra velocity you'll get makes up for some loss of BC to a point.

I'm working on putting together a 6.5x47 over the next several months and currently rounding up reloading components. I've shot a very similar replica of my gun build with IMR 4166, Lapua brass, CCI small rifle benchrest primers, and Hornady 130 ELD-Match. At 100 yards I was able to narrow down to near 3 bullets in the same hole. My question is, how do these 130 ELD-M's perform at 600 to 1000 yards vs say a Berger or JLK? And is paying nearly 50% more per bullet to shoot a Berger or JLK for fun/practice, not competition shooting, really worth it? Are the ELD-M's good enough or are there any red flags to be worried about? Also, anyone have experience hunting deer with this bullet at various distances?
Have opened box of Lapua with about 50 once fired, rest new. Have to count to make accurate number. Will sell for $100. PM me or text 2103671610.

@BEEMAN, do you know what free bore you're running? That combo sounds DEADLY and obviously worked for you

Thanks

Not sure. Sorry. Did a quick load development last fall that took eight shots. Still need to chronograph it. My RBros 6.5x47 shoots the 130 Berger at 2950 FPS. This gun was shooting the 130 Accubond at just under 2900 FPS. I'm using the same load so I'd think 2900 plus FPS. 25" benchmark.

@BEEMAN, do you know what free bore you're running? That combo sounds DEADLY and obviously worked for you

Thanks
Sorry I don't know my freebore. RBros will not disclose reamer specs. My other reamer came from Manson. But I'm not sure on the exact specs. Told him I wanted to be able to run 130-140 gr bullets. Shot the 124 HH over a lab radar the other day. They're going 2938 FPS with 41.5 gr of H4350. No pressure signs in my gun. Will try the new 123 AH and see if I can get an extra 200 FPS. I'm sure I'd get more speed with the hammers out of the RBros rifle but it's to heavy to hunt with. Plus it shoots the 130 Berger so good I'm not messing with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.