6.5 sherman q&a

Cliff.......I am surprised that Quick Load shows 99%+ of the RL33 is burned in a 26" barrel. What does it show for Retumbo, for example? The reason I ask is, I remember tests being done which usually show at least a 36" barrel length to burn all the powder?......Rich

Rich,
It shows 100% for Retumbo and 33" to burn R33 100%, It looks like pressure has a significant effect, lower pressure takes more barrel to get it all burnt.
Cliff

Rich,
It shows 100% for Retumbo and 33" to burn R33 100%, It looks like pressure has a significant effect, lower pressure takes more barrel to get it all burnt.
Cliff

I'm trying to figure out how velocity can go up so much in a 30" barrel, for example, if the powder is completely burned in 26"?. So you are saying if pressure is high enough, it could all burn in that length and velocity would not increase anymore at 30"? Would it happen in a safe pressure range?.......Rich

The best I can figure is that after the powder is burnt the gas created is still expanding with enough pressure to keep the bullet accelerating.
On the pressure curve the peak pressure(64400psi) occurs at about 2-3" down the barrel, 95% burn comes at 13-14". At 26" there is 20000psi, at 30"-13400psi, at 33" (where this load reaches 100% burn) 12300psi, at 40" there is still 10200psi behind the bullet.

Cliff

The best I can figure is that after the powder is burnt the gas created is still expanding with enough pressure to keep the bullet accelerating.
On the pressure curve the peak pressure(64400psi) occurs at about 2-3" down the barrel, 95% burn comes at 13-14". At 26" there is 20000psi, at 30"-13400psi, at 33" (where this load reaches 100% burn) 12300psi, at 40" there is still 10200psi behind the bullet.

Cliff

Ok, that kind of explains how the extra length comes into play...thanks/Rich

This sounds like a great round! But when comparing the 6.5 Sherman to the 6.5-06 AI is there really any advantage other than 100FPS velocity gain? If the two rounds are based off of the 270 case with a long neck then barrel like should be very similar correct?
I have no experience with the two rounds but I am very interested for a future (Lightweight) build. If a guy is happy with 3000 FPS with a 140 grain bullet is there any reason to not go with the 6.5-06 AI?

This sounds like a great round! But when comparing the 6.5 Sherman to the 6.5-06 AI is there really any advantage other than 100FPS velocity gain? If the two rounds are based off of the 270 case with a long neck then barrel like should be very similar correct?
I have no experience with the two rounds but I am very interested for a future (Lightweight) build. If a guy is happy with 3000 FPS with a 140 grain bullet is there any reason to not go with the 6.5-06 AI?

That is correct, the barrel life should be very similar. I shot an A.I. for many years and the way I see it, if you can gain 100'/sec. with no disadvantages, why not build a Sherman?.........Rich

Rich, I'm supposed to be getting another standard LA 700 from a buddy of mine, that owes me some money. He was gonna give me his .300 WM action, but instead decided to build another magnum (which put my .300 Ackley build on hold for now), so looks like I'll be getting another LA standard.

I do have a new take-off 26" heavy 1:12 .308 barrel sitting in my barrel bin, that I have debated on reaming out to .300 Sherman for that new LA when I get it from my buddy. I figured it might be perfect for shooting maybe 210 VLD's (if they'll stabilize...), or 168-185gr VLD's. I bet that .300 Sherman will SCREAM some 168 VLD's.

The .300 Sherman would make an excellent deer cartridge, and would help me utilize all of my .30-06 range brass I've picked up over the last couple years... :D

Rich, I'm supposed to be getting another standard LA 700 from a buddy of mine, that owes me some money. He was gonna give me his .300 WM action, but instead decided to build another magnum (which put my .300 Ackley build on hold for now), so looks like I'll be getting another LA standard.

I do have a new take-off 26" heavy 1:12 .308 barrel sitting in my barrel bin, that I have debated on reaming out to .300 Sherman for that new LA when I get it from my buddy. I figured it might be perfect for shooting maybe 210 VLD's (if they'll stabilize...), or 168-185gr VLD's. I bet that .300 Sherman will SCREAM some 168 VLD's.

The .300 Sherman would make an excellent deer cartridge, and would help me utilize all of my .30-06 range brass I've picked up over the last couple years... :D

I doubt that it would stablize the 210's but should do fine with most bullets under 200. Actually, you need 270 brass instead of '06 or you will have a very short neck. You right about pushing a 168 pretty fast though!.......Rich

I doubt that it would stablize the 210's but should do fine with most bullets under 200. Actually, you need 270 brass instead of '06 or you will have a very short neck. You right about pushing a 168 pretty fast though!.......Rich
I figured it wouldn't stabilize the 210's. I know my 11.25 twist .308 is putting 5 of them inside a dime @ 100, so I guess it was just wishful thinking. LOL

Dangit! I just formed all my .270 brass into .25-06 AI brass... It got trimmed a little short for some reason. Apparantly my trimmer is not very accurate. I aimed for 2.494", but they came out a little short. I think around 0.080-0.085" short. If that will work, I could just open up some of the necks with my .308 neck sizer die to finish fire-forming, since they'd already be close.

Well Rich.. finally dropped off my rifle to the smith... he will be contacting you for the reamer... did I read somewhere that you have dies for sale in do I still need to contact whidden. .. got lucky.. the smith said turnaround is 4 to 6 weeks

Well Rich.. finally dropped off my rifle to the smith... he will be contacting you for the reamer... did I read somewhere that you have dies for sale in do I still need to contact whidden. .. got lucky.. the smith said turnaround is 4 to 6 weeks

Congrats! I do have dies and Whidden could not sell them anyway. Let me know when you need the reamer and where to send it.....Rich