6.5 sherman q&a

How many times can a reamer be used before it needs to be either sharpened or replaced? And what is fee to rent one? I may have asked in the past but don't remember answer.

how much is a new reamer? can I buy one?

If they aren't abused, you can cut a lot of chambers, but I don't know exactly how many? Mine have only been used a few times each and are in good condition. You can not buy a Sherman reamer, but I rent them for $35 shipped one way to your smith......Rich

So, neck down 270 brass to 6.5mm, turn the necks, load 'em up, fire form and voila? Good to go? Do you have reamers in Canada? I have been running a 260 and 260 AI for four years now and love them, but the 260 for me is best at about 2770 and the AI at 2985 both with 139 Scenars, your saying a 160 Matrix at 3050 for your Sherman? Thats a lot of jam! Any feeding issues from a standard Remington mag box? My AI is a bit finicky to say the least, and I would like to avoid a feeding issue when the moment is heated and adrenaline charged.

I was thinking a 338 Lapua or Norma next year, but maybe a 6.5 Sherman would fit the bill a bit better.

So, neck down 270 brass to 6.5mm, turn the necks, load 'em up, fire form and voila? Good to go? Do you have reamers in Canada? I have been running a 260 and 260 AI for four years now and love them, but the 260 for me is best at about 2770 and the AI at 2985 both with 139 Scenars, your saying a 160 Matrix at 3050 for your Sherman? Thats a lot of jam! Any feeding issues from a standard Remington mag box? My AI is a bit finicky to say the least, and I would like to avoid a feeding issue when the moment is heated and adrenaline charged.

I was thinking a 338 Lapua or Norma next year, but maybe a 6.5 Sherman would fit the bill a bit better.

That's all there is to it! Mine is in a std. 700 BDL and I have no feeding issues. I am not aware of any other issues with other customers either. Yes, the 160's top out around 3050' in a 26" barrel. I can ship the reamer to Canada at a smith of your choice........rich

What barrel manufacturer and profile are you liking for a decent weight sporter rifle? I just got a Broughton 5C, 5.5 profile chambered in 284 and I am liking it for the first 100 rounds.

What barrel manufacturer and profile are you liking for a decent weight sporter rifle? I just got a Broughton 5C, 5.5 profile chambered in 284 and I am liking it for the first 100 rounds.

Sounds like a good combo! I have a 4 contour, fluted lilja on my Sherman and a 5 contour fluted benchmark on my SS. The Lilja is a 3 groover and the Benchmark a 5r........Rich

I am interested to know about your Benchmark 5r barrel. I had always understood that the Obermeyer 5r type barrels required cut-rifling (I have a Krieger 5r on one of my rifles) and I had understood Benchmark barrels to be of the button variety. I am obviously wrong on one or both counts. Can you enlighten me?

I am interested to know about your Benchmark 5r barrel. I had always understood that the Obermeyer 5r type barrels required cut-rifling (I have a Krieger 5r on one of my rifles) and I had understood Benchmark barrels to be of the button variety. I am obviously wrong on one or both counts. Can you enlighten me?

My understanding is that they are button rifled......rich

I am have a 6.5 Sherman in the works. Can some of you Sherman owners post some of you favorite loads? Is there a standard trim length? I am 4-5 months from completion. I have started gathering brass and bullets.

Thanks

Jay

I am have a 6.5 Sherman in the works. Can some of you Sherman owners post some of you favorite loads? Is there a standard trim length? I am 4-5 months from completion. I have started gathering brass and bullets.

Thanks

Jay

Hi Jay.....I was holding off hoping someone else would respond but will throw out a few that have worked for me.
I use nothing but std primers, either 210's or BR2's. I have found no benefit in using magnums. Loads below are with 26" barrel. I trim to 2.520" which is only .005" clearance but you can go more if you like.

For the 140 bergers and a-max I like:
62-65 grains Retumbo
60-63 grains RL-25
54-55 grains H4350
57-59 grains 7828
Almost any powder with a burning rate slower than 4350 seems to work well. I think CliffM likes 57 grains H4831.
Most of the loads listed above will get you in the 3100'+ range.
Top loads will reach 3200'/sec

With the 160 Matrix:
59-62 grains retumbo
68-70 grains US869
58-60 grains H1000

Bigngreen is doing some testing with RL33 which is showing good promise. Top loads with the 160's will exceed 3000'/sec.

Hope this helps.......Rich

I just finished my third hunting season with the 6.5 Sherman and have a little over 1300 rounds fired.
I used 140 Berger year 1, 155 Cauterucio year 2, 160 Matrix year 3.
I have also developed loads for and shot paper and steel to 1890yds with:
120 Sierra Pro Hunter
123 Sierra Matchking
130 Nosler Accubond
140 Nosler Custom Competion
140 Hornady A-Max
142 Matrix

Using Retumbo
Magnum Ramshot
H1000
Magpro
H4831
Hybrid 100V
With each of these bullets there is a load that will produce 3 shot 100yd groups in the low .4's.
My favorite target load for 140gr bullets is 56.3gr H4831 cciBr-2 in Norma cases @2970fps Very mild at 51000psi.
The most accurate bullet I have shot with that load is the 142 Matrix, with 3 shot groups under .1. :D
Favorite hunting loads:
140 Berger
63 Retumbo
F210
3150fps

160 Matrix
62 Retumbo
F210
2970fps

Reloader 33 has only been shot for speed and pressure so far. 70gr =3082fps with the 160 Matrix. Even though there was no sign of pressure at all I am calling it MAX.
Cliff

I am wanting to build a Sherman as well. I talked with Rich this past week. Cliff, out of the three bullets listed which one performed the best on game? From say 100-1000 yds. If you could only pick one to use for hunting which one would it be? Are you shooting with a 28" barrel?