What Else Would A Reloader NEED?

Pastor Gun.zales

I am putting together a "complete" reloading kit and was wanting to pick your brain on what else you would add?

I decided to make a video of it over on Instagram, and wanted to pick all y'all's brains. Many of us have been reloading for years and the stuff we have now couldn't be listed in a single post, because let's face it... we are hoarders 😆

This kit I assembled has a RCBS RockChucker, Piggyback progressive system, powder dispenser, scale, trimmer, primer tray, lube, loading block, funnel, reloading book, dies for .223, 9mm, 40s&w, 45ACP, Shell plates for the PiggyBack Progressive, primers, brass, bullets, and calipers.

Besides powder what else would you add for someone just wanting to start out?

441517414_1188862488770104_3166142808346864534_n.jpg

I am putting together a "complete" reloading kit and was wanting to pick your brain on what else you would add?

I decided to make a video of it over on Instagram, and wanted to pick all y'all's brains. Many of us have been reloading for years and the stuff we have now couldn't be listed in a single post, because let's face it... we are hoarders 😆

This kit I assembled has a RCBS RockChucker, Piggyback progressive system, powder dispenser, scale, trimmer, primer tray, lube, loading block, funnel, reloading book, dies for .223, 9mm, 40s&w, 45ACP, Shell plates for the PiggyBack Progressive, primers, brass, bullets, and calipers.

Besides powder what else would you add for someone just wanting to start out?

View attachment 571085

Three things not in your list that you technically don't need to handload a single cartridge but wisdom and humility dictate you should have if you're serious about this at all are

1. A chronograph. Without a chronograph you're flying blind. Pressure signs are fickle and not enough on their own, and there will always be an element of uncertainty and guesswork to this then, especially with cartridges that have SAAMI limits way lower than 65kpsi. I have told new loaders to buy a chronograph before they buy a single piece of equipment. It's what I did. No regrets.

2. A STUCK CASE REMOVER KIT!!!! They are cheap and oh so very useful when things go wrong. Things do go wrong. Better to be prepared for that.

3. A bullet puller. Because 💩 happens. You accidentally loaded a round with no powder, or the wrong powder, or too much powder, or the wrong bullet, or the right bullet seated too deeply, or you need to take down someone else's handloads for the components…the need WILL MOST CERTAINLY ARISE one way or another. And I'll add….skip the kinetic pullers/inertia hammers/whatever you wanna call them. Having just recently bought a collet type puller that you use in the press I AM NEVER GOING BACK TO THOSE STUPID HAMMERS!!!!! 🤣. It's like my discovery of the greatness of Tipton's one piece carbon fibre cleaning rods…never going back to those dreadful multi-piece brass rods EVER AGAIN!!!!!

Whoa! They are great to break bullet weld to make it easier collet pullers! So belt and suspenders!😂
Just stop welding bullets Muddy. Wouldn't that be easier? There's no need for a welder in ANY reloading kit as it is, and it's amazing you haven't blown yourself up doing that near powder and primers in the first place!!!! How "bonded" do your bullets really need to be anyway? 🥴

That's not a bad idea, either, but then again, I used a Wendy's spoon for years, and now it has a place of honor above my bench lol
I have literally never used a powder trickler or a powder dispenser/charge thrower in the 14 years I've been loading. They're nice no doubt but not at all essential. I have used the aforementioned bullet puller many times though 🤣