6.5 rum

jdg300rum

Does anyone know if a 6.5 rum will push a 140 grain bullet at 3500 fps? What kind of barrel life are we looking at.

3500 should be no problem for 6.5 rum. Barrel life is not going to be very good with that big case and small bullet diameter. Did you ever look into a 6.5 wsm?

I have a 6.5 wsm and I am going at 3200 fps with the 140. I was looking for a one revelution zero at 1000 yds.

Toped out at 3475 with 140 class bullets. My first barrel ran into trouble after about 50 rounds. I also ran into powder bridgeing problems with stick powder. My local gunsmith rebarreled again and I am in the middle of working up loads for the new barrel. I have not done much because of the winds but when they do die down I will be back at the range.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know if a 6.5 rum will push a 140 grain bullet at 3500 fps? What kind of barrel life are we looking at.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the right twist, bbl leghth, and coated bullets, you can drive the 175, 178 and some 180's at 3500 FPS with the 300 RUM. Why would you ever want to shoot a 140 grain bullet at that speed with the same case?

The reason why is so that I can have a 2 inch zero at 100 yards and one turn of a leupold scope and you are zero at 1000 yards. I am thinking of a deer round.

even the 7stw with 180bergers will be within 2 moa of that goal. Why go through all the extra hassle for 8 more clicks?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.