6.5 rum

Buddy of mine has a 6.5-300 Weatherby magnum. Barrel life sucks, if you shoot much. Carbon deposits can also be problematic with such an overbore cartridge. It will kill deer at amazing distances like a laser beam, but there are tradeoffs for that speed.

I have got to chime in here, I necked down a 7mm dakota to 6.5 and love it. 140 grain bergers at 3450. Case life is great. 74.6 grains retumbo. Is not finiky on the loads. I think the barrel will last 1000++ if you dont get it hot. I have fired 18 pounds of powder developing loads and just having fun shooting gongs to 1100 yards. 57 clicks on my huskama to 1100 yards. much better than the belted magnums on case life, just my 2 cents

i have got to chime in here, i necked down a 7mm dakota to 6.5 and love it. 140 grain bergers at 3450. Case life is great. 74.6 grains retumbo. Is not finiky on the loads. I think the barrel will last 1000++ if you dont get it hot. I have fired 18 pounds of powder developing loads and just having fun shooting gongs to 1100 yards. 57 clicks on my huskama to 1100 yards. Much better than the belted magnums on case life, just my 2 cents

what twist do you have on your 6.5 dakota?
Mine is a 7 dakota improved necked to .277

lboom,
thats sounds like a sweet gun, and its nice to know someone is getting good barrel life out of a hot 6.5...Is it kinda similar to what Sinner is doing with the 330 dakota case...?
Cause i'm really interested in the 6.5 SIN that he will be working up.

I think i started something with NOSRX1...he is now gotten his hands on a 6.5 STW reamer...that 264 WM is gonna take it...hahaha
should be fun...

I am going with the RUM as this will be my first custom gun and brass is readily available in 7mm RUM...as a parent cartridge. Trying to keep things simple the first go round. Plus its a "do anything rem long action" (almost), so if i change my mind later on then the possibilities are seemingly endless.

Thanks all, for the encouragement.
Gils.

I have smoked several barrels on my old .264 and every time I could attribute it to just shooting A FEW MORE SHOTS before I let it cool. Im shooting a 1-8 in one gun and 1-9 in another.I have broughten barrels on both with the canted lands. These guns will both shoot a 100 grain over 4000 fps but you have to ask yourself why do it when the down range performance is so good with the .618 berger. Incidently, I also shot 142 smk and there was only 1-2 clicks difference at 1100 yards. I had hornady make my dies, 1 step, buy 7mm dakota brass and run them threw,no problem.

I have got to chime in here, I necked down a 7mm dakota to 6.5 and love it. 140 grain bergers at 3450. Case life is great. 74.6 grains retumbo. Is not finiky on the loads. I think the barrel will last 1000++ if you dont get it hot. I have fired 18 pounds of powder developing loads and just having fun shooting gongs to 1100 yards. 57 clicks on my huskama to 1100myards. much better than the belted magnums on case life, just my 2 cents

iboom,
the dakota case I would have to agree would be a better choice than the rum case,this being said the 6.5 rum would not have near the barrel life as it would be using about 20 grains more powder for about 200 fps more velocity, the 6.5 wsm would be very comparable in velocity to your 6.5 dakota using about 10 grains less powder just a thought.

opnions are like butts everybodys got one

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.