6.5 rum

If you gooogle 6.5 wsm, you can get an eye-full of information.
It was an interesting read. I burned an hour collecting data for reamer, dies and loads.
There was a flavor of regret in all of that. I think it was spendy $$.
Seems like the prevailing opinion is using Redding S dies in 270 wsm and getting a smaller bushing. GAP has a reamer.

Good luck with all this.
The jury is still out an my possible build.

I would take a different angle. I would build a 6.5x47 and use the short action, superior brass and barrel life. And then rub it in your buddy's face every time he has to rebarrel and yours is still going strong.

I would take a different angle. I would build a 6.5x47 and use the short action, superior brass and barrel life. And then rub it in your buddy's face every time he has to rebarrel and yours is still going strong.

+1 I agree with camshaft you'll get excellent performance and great barrel life, it's more impressive to me to shoot a 130 berger at 2920 fps with 38.5 grains of powder than to shoot a 140 at 3600 fps with 87 ish grains just my opnion

Thanks guys,
I love getting all sorts of opinions, gives a guy lots of info to make a informed decision. Plus at some point someone has paid a price for this info and expirence, which a guy like myself can appreicate.
Money, usage and personal preference are the deciding factors that i'm looking at.

Option#1- Full custom gun, 6.5 RUM or 6.5 AM (3600fps)

Option#2- Part custom, part stock gun, 6.5 SIN (3500fps)???

Option#3- Stock gun, 270WSM (CE has a .540BC 130gr bullet for this) (3300fps) ish.

Thanks for all the help guys
Gils.

Thanks guys,
I love getting all sorts of opinions, gives a guy lots of info to make a informed decision. Plus at some point someone has paid a price for this info and expirence, which a guy like myself can appreicate.
Money, usage and personal preference are the deciding factors that i'm looking at.

Option#1- Full custom gun, 6.5 RUM or 6.5 AM (3600fps)

Option#2- Part custom, part stock gun, 6.5 SIN (3500fps)???

Option#3- Stock gun, 270WSM (CE has a .540BC 130gr bullet for this) (3300fps) ish.

Thanks for all the help guys
Gils.
If you do build one you should definitely call it the 6.5Destroyer

Since you threw out a 270 WSM I would go all out with that!! Use a 165 Matrix with a .650+ BC at 3000ish or launch the 130's up over 3400 or 140's in the 3300's. Excellent all around cartridge!!

I was going to suggest the 6.5 STW. I believe Longtime Longranger has experience with this, but I just remembered you don't want to mess with the belts. But i'm sure he could help with performance, since it will be close to the 6.5 RUM. I would also get with kirby (fiftydriver), he could probably tell you everything you need to know about his 6.5 and that performance.

Thanks for the info Bigngreen,
I might just get the 270 WSM while i'm getting my ducks in a row for the 6.5Destroyer...hehehe thanks Camshaft...
I think the ol' .277 gets a bad wrap, and has kinda been treated as the "Middle Child"... so to speak. Over shadowed by the popularity of the .284 and .264.
I was just running some #'s on that 165gr matrix @ 3000fps...if the stated BC is correct @ .738, it would be supersonic till 1900yds. @ 1000yds has roughly the same speed as the 130gr @ 3400fps, but has way more punch...and no doubt better wind bucking ability.
Which gets me thinking....it is not that far of a stretch to only have to squeeze down the 7mm RUM down to the .277 vs .264.
Good thing too is that Matrix is just west of me...way west...
I also see that fiftydriver has a few .277 worked up...Nice stuff...

Anyways, thanks for the responses guys.
Gils.

Gils, the Matrix bullets seem to have an actual BC of .650 ish for the 165 from shooting but the 175 sounds like it's .700+. Kirby builds the 270 AM but I don't know how the Matrix has held up to it, I think they were built with a 3 groove 1-8 twist which seems to be extremely aggressive on the bullet and tends to shred them. I shoot the 165 just fine in a 1-10 twist WSM and Win and others have shot the 175 in a 1-10 as well so if you were to RUM it I would look at maybe 1-10 twist and try to be as nice to the bullet as possible. We should have the 169.5 Wildcat bullets soon I hope which I've seen guys say has a BC over .700 as well!!

What ever you build it looks like it will be a screamer :D

Well it seems Gils(my friend) has been on here trying to get a leg up on me..I am the buddy with the 264win mag. Now I have foiled his plans...on to you now Gils. There is some great info on here and at the moment I am really liking the 264 shoots well and no recoil. Since there is the topic of bullet speed on this thread I will add something to this..In the last couple years I have been shooting the 130gr Tip Triple shocks out of a 300RUM with 3860ft/s at the muzzle and this year I have notice the gun not grouping like it did before...so maybe its time for a barrel change out.

Hahaha...not a leg up man, just making it a challenge not a cakewalk...Anyways, like i said, if the barrel needs achangin...sell it to me and i will gladly throw a .264 or .277 barrel on it...Wow i never know your ultra was going that fast...so many secrets...
Thanks bigngreen...i think i will give both the 165 and 175's a try...

Gils.

gils, the matrix bullets seem to have an actual bc of .650 ish for the 165 from shooting but the 175 sounds like it's .700+. Kirby builds the 270 am but i don't know how the matrix has held up to it, i think they were built with a 3 groove 1-8 twist which seems to be extremely aggressive on the bullet and tends to shred them. I shoot the 165 just fine in a 1-10 twist wsm and win and others have shot the 175 in a 1-10 as well so if you were to rum it i would look at maybe 1-10 twist and try to be as nice to the bullet as possible. We should have the 169.5 wildcat bullets soon i hope which i've seen guys say has a bc over .700 as well!!

What ever you build it looks like it will be a screamer :d

i'm shooting 169.5 wildcats out of my gun @.750 bc using exbal .770 using bergers calculator. I tried the 165 wildcats they were darn close to the wildcats in my gun well over .700

Gils,

Speaking from competition shooting experience... I shoot the 6.5's at 3000 or less for optimum accuracy. You could use the RUM case and get a lot more velocity out of the 6.5 but I don't know if the accuracy would be there. I know the Bergers wouldnt stand the added velocity though... they would be a mist of molten medal way before they got to where they were going especially with a high twist rate barrel.
I shoot a 6.5-284, I get around 1200 rounds on a barrel before I have to have it set back and I would have no problems with taking deer size critters out to 1000 yards or so. Its not a speed demon but I know what I aim at I can hit... if I want to drag out the speed demon I got a 300 RUM that I launch 155 Bergers at 3970 from, and when they get to where they are going they make a big mess.
Good luck on your build, BK

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.