Rebarrel RUM action to 6.5 PRC, mag length question

CaptDru

I am rebarreling my RUM into a 6.5 PRC. My gunsmith said he was going to block off the mag box and put in a shorter follower. Is this a good idea or should I leave the mag length alone? I eventually plan on reloading in the next year or two.

As long it doesn't cause a feeding issue, leave it long. Will be able to seat that bullet way out there and you could put more freebore in the chamber to allow for higher velocity possibly, same idea as the Weatherby's.

idcwby

I built mine off a Winchester M70 CRF that was a 264WM. It's the standard LA box and 264 mag follower and feeds fine. My box is 3.4" I believe where yours is 3.7" I believe. I'm sure he's talking of using a standard LA follower and box length. 6.5PRC max OAL w/ 156EOL is 3.082 so I would go w/ the Smith. Also the PRC case is .5320 as is the belt on the 264/ 7mmRM/300WM where as the 300RUM is .5500. Different follower may be needed due to feed lips etc..

Rhett

I personally would try without first. I am running a 6.5 PRC in a long action Fierce right now and it feeds slick as can be but Fierce/Sako is better in that department than any 700 or clone I have owned/cycled so I'm not sure that alone is a true indicator. My First true custom was a 7WSM on a long stiller and a factory 700 mag box. It fed just as slick as any 700 I've owned.

Similar situation, I am building a 270 WSM on an A-Bolt II 7mm Mag, I've had a handfull of people question that move. To Pappy B's point, I'm running overbore bergers and matrix bullets that need more mag space. If you're running a long bullet (seated properly) and ream the jump to optimal spacing or jam, you'll never think about the extra 3/8" in that mag box, if it's even that much.

Good luck, let us know how it works out!

Thanks,
TK

Maybe I mis understood but I took Pappy B's statement as saying the spacer was a waste not that the action was a waste.

Maybe I mis understood but I took Pappy B's statement as saying the spacer was a waste not that the action was a waste.

That's how I took it. To "block" the mag would waste the available COAL you could run. Think the OP's 'smith may be missing the point, that's what I was referring to by referencing people who have questioned my building a short mag on a long action. Wave of the future is you ask me!

TK

That's how I took it. To "block" the mag would waste the available COAL you could run. Think the OP's 'smith may be missing the point, that's what I was referring to by referencing people who have questioned my building a short mag on a long action. Wave of the future is you ask me!

TK

I personally do not understand the point of a short action unless it is a 223 family cartridge and even those having the mag blocked so short is outdated.

Has anyone tried a hs precision bottom metal with the clip for the 6.5 284 in a long action? It says it has 3.1 for length.

Would a centerfeed wyatts box work? I'm having trouble with the feed lips, they catch the brass towards the front.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.