6.5 prc and 123 absolute hammers

For what it's worth. We are getting the same 3450 plus running the 124g Hammer Hunter in the prc.

:oops: I was running 60.0 RE26 under the 124HH in Lapua cases for 3,225 ft/sec in a 23.5" Proof barrel and thought I was stepping it right along. There are certainly some impressive velocities possible with the Hammers.

I used accubonds and partitions ,before Hammers . What I found was a more accurate bullet , more vel , less fouling , better customer service , about any bullet you can dream of for any barrel twist rate , less blood shot meat and better terminal performance . If you are thinking about changing too hammer bullets , go to the Offical Terminal Performance , Hammer bullets . Picture Heavy Forum on this LRH site . I think that will help with your decision ..
I used Barnes TTSX and TSX for a long time. Mainly in 300 RUM. They were bone busters and didn't destroy meat. Shot Accubonds for awhile. Great bullet. Tried Bergers . They were great also but explosive if hit bone by chance. I know, completely different bullet..I've shot Hammers out of 300 RUM , 6.5 PRC and Creedmoor. All were easy to find a load and just as accurate as The other three. Last Sept. I shot a buck with 124 Hammer. It broke neck and traveled all the way to hind quarter. I aimed at chest and hit high. Still had CDS set to 600 yds. When I shot at what I thought was him earlier. I shot him a 60 yds. A story for the thread " well that didn't go the way I thought it would' thread. I think it's called. I haven't shot anything with the 181 Hammer yet but at 3432 fps I'm sure it will be good elk medicine !

I looked at my notes . With RL23 and 124 Hammer I did go past ave. 3211 with 56.0 grs.. I went up to 59.0 - 59.5 and stopped at 60.0. with ave.
3315 - 3353 - 3378.
60.0 I had SD4 ES13.

The trick with the prc is to NOT run magnum primers. When we went from magnum primers to standard lr we went from 3200ish to nearly 3500 fps. We were able to gain 4-5g of powder before hitting pressure again.

Running Bertram brass with rl26 or n560 and the 124g hitting about 3470 fps. col of 2.887".

The trick with the prc is to NOT run magnum primers. When we went from magnum primers to standard lr we went from 3200ish to nearly 3500 fps. We were able to gain 4-5g of powder before hitting pressure again.

Running Bertram brass with rl26 or n560 and the 124g hitting about 3470 fps. col of 2.887".
I run Fed 210 Match. ADG/Gunwerks brass. I have a lot of RL26. Only 1 pd. of N560. Lots of N565 though.
Thanks for the info Steve.

Last edited:

Curious what gave you the idea to run standard primers over the magnum in this cartridge??

I'm on the same page , that is working for me.

Curious what gave you the idea to run standard primers over the magnum in this cartridge??
It works I pressured out on the 109 at 3592 fps with magnum primers and N560 went too standard LR primers and went too 3728 fps not pressured out just out of powder space , with Steve's recommendation.

It works I pressured out on the 109 at 3592 fps with magnum primers and N560 went too standard LR primers and went too 3728 fps not pressured out just out of powder space , with Steve's recommendation.

I normally use Fed 210M primers in the 6.5PRC but switched to 215M primers when experimenting with Hammer bullets. Looks like there is much to gain by switching back.

I wish I could say we were the smart ones. Had a couple diff customers tell us, so we tried it. Before trying it we thought Nosler data was too hot. We couldn't match it. With lr primer now we can surpass it.

I did superformance as well and got around 3400 fps but I lost 100 fps when it went from 70 to 40 during the testing phase so I stopped.
Interesting. I wouldn't think it would be that temp sensitive. I will recheck velocities if it gets cold out again.