6 5 prc, 270win, 284win

Hi everyone, what will be your caliber if you have to choose one among these: 6.5prc, 270win, 284win, 7mm rem mag and 7mm08.

Got into a talk with friend of mine and whant to see what other shooter think.

Shoot will be about 600yrds max, might go longer on Steel but not on game
I own a 270 win but considered converting it to 284 win. Pre-pandemic when components were more available I wanted a 7mm RM. Now with the way things are I'm considering a 7-08 and probably will also add a 7SAW in the mix. The reason it fits me is I have a ton for 308 Win brass so I can size it to either 7-08 or 7 SAW. It'll take game out to 600-700 yards. (7SAW) 180's going 2750 fps will still meet 1800 fps and 1500 fps at 700 and beyond at the altitudes I operate in. With some 180's it'll stay supersonic out to a mile. All in my SA 700.

why so? i find they are a very decent company to do buisness with
never had a problem in my dealings with them always curtious professional and straight forward
with me
i thnk a lot of people hate hornady because its the in thing these days
Because their brass consistency (and quality) have sucked in the past (they are getting better).
Because everyone that has a 6.5CM thinks they have the best cartridge ever created and will tell you they can shoot dime sized groups (while 3 out of 10 went into a dime sized group...once).
Because everyone who couldn't shoot before buys a 6.5CM and thinks they can now kill a deer at 1k.
Because the ELD-X/ELD-M lines of bullets is so inconsistent.

But, like I said, I built a 6CM, 25CM, and 6.5CM. If there were no Creedmoor cartridges, it would be a .243AI or 6x47L, .250AI or 25x47L, and 6.5x47L/.260 Rem/6.5SLR/.260AI.

Because their brass consistency (and quality) have sucked in the past (they are getting better).
Because everyone that has a 6.5CM thinks they have the best cartridge ever created and will tell you they can shoot dime sized groups (while 3 out of 10 went into a dime sized group...once).
Because everyone who couldn't shoot before buys a 6.5CM and thinks they can now kill a deer at 1k.
Because the ELD-X/ELD-M lines of bullets is so inconsistent.

But, like I said, I built a 6CM, 25CM, and 6.5CM. If there were no Creedmoor cartridges, it would be a .243AI or 6x47L, .250AI or 25x47L, and 6.5x47L/.260 Rem/6.5SLR/.260AI.
I have no problem with Hornady brass it's all I use and my 6.5cm & 280 ai love the eldx
But everyone has to hate something
To each their own

I've hot rodded some loads in my 270 wsm and 300 WM and had primer pockets go to crud really quick with Hornady brass. But with the 308 no issues at all. Eld-x does great on one animal then gets really splashy on another. I think it does well at Creedmoor and 7mm-08 speeds but can come apart pretty quick over 3100 fps. But that's for another forum. For the OP's choice I'd take the 270 win.

Im reloading my ammo for all my rifle, the 270win have been my favorite hunting caliber for many year, sold it to have more performance and bullet chose. But with expérience I now looking to get back to it ou crank up poser. But got 7mm mag, the 7mm08, 284win modern rifle, and 308...

Dont need it in the fact but having à 6.5prc or à 270win would give me more chance to find bullet 🤔😅
EZ to FIND,.. .270 Bullets !
Try, the Berger, 140 H-VLD's , 140 Classic Hunters or, 145 ELD-X's at "Warp" speed,.. and Enjoy !
ALL are, "accurate" and, all,.. Kill "well" ! I Love, the 140 Classic's, in my, .270 WSM.
The ole' .270 Win. has been killing, Big Game for,.. Decades !

Not a bad choice to be had but what you are looking for is a 270 IMO.

I don't know exactly what it is about the 270 win and how it puts deer-sized game down but they just seem to always do it with authority. I have a new fast twist barrel and some 165 ABLRs for mine but won't be surprised if I end up back with the 130/140s. They just seem magical!

@ WMDM,..
"Magical" = 130's-140's,.. going, FAST ( Explosive ).
Love my, .270 WSM with, the 140 Berg's at, almost,.. 3,200 FPS ( DRT,.. "Lazer", Killer's ! ).
It's called, the Roy Weatherby ,.. "Theory" and seems to, work,.. FINE !

Last edited: