6.5 prc

JamesWilson5

Thinking of buying new rifle chambered in 6.5 prc .looking for a factory rifle that looks decent but accuracy is my main goal. Trying to stay about 1500$ or less any advice would be greatly appreciated. And also how is the performance on deer 300 yards or less . Thanks in advance

I do not own one but, never heard one negative comment in regards to accuracy with the Bergara. Very possible $1500 includes optics. There are a few others as well. I'm confident the members will chime in with other great options.

If I had to choose, it would be the Seekins Havak. The PH2 is just above what you're looking to spend but well worth it IMHO.

With that being said, the 6.5PRC is a bit overkill for 300 and in. It will definitely do the job however. Bullet selection will be critical IMHO. I shoot the PRCs big brother, 6.5wsm & i've definitely found that a bullet that works great at 500+ tends to be a bit frangible at closer range.

With the right bullet, the 6.5PRC will be pure devastation on deer at <300. With the right zero, point & click.... venison time.

t

I won't comment on your rifle brand choice. The PRC is essentially the same as my 6.5 SS. I'm running a Berger 156 at 2990 FPS. Been deadly so far. 8 shots and 8 dead animals. Stay off of the shoulder in closer ranges..... Several other good bullets. You are essentially slightly more powerful than Jack O'Connors beloved .270 with which he killed many animals. He wrote quite extensively about it with a 130 gr bullet. It will easily do the job if you do your part.
Bruce

Are you stalking me Bruce? Lol

Yeah, after less that optimal performance with the 160 Matrix (& the fact that I can't find them anymore), i'm switching to the 156 Berger.

t

This is the first one I've owned. I found a load that works and it will shoot .5 MOA or better groups at 500 ( which is the furthest target on our range). Very smooth.

I did replace the bolt stop and got a LA mag for it, so I could stretch the length of my loads.

I kind of agree with the seekins just due to mag length and the ability it gives a reloader. 2 guys at work both bought Bergara prcs one guy sold his and bought the seekins, the other guy is talking about selling his. They are both avid reloaders and marksman and thought the Bergara were decent but weren't overly impressed .7-.9" groups were the norm with factory ammo, they both found other loads of their own that shot better.
I also bought 2 different savages also in prc one was the 110 tactical other was the ultralite, thought I wanted the extra bullets in the mag with the tactical, but it also limited my overall cartridge length. The tactical uses a standard aics wsm mag which was nice. I could load to about 2.965 and have reliable feeding. This was over the factory length of the eld -X factory precision ammo which was 2.952. The gun shot almost everything .75-.8 religiously, I did find a load with 150 ablrs and h1000 that was usually.6-.7. The ultralite has a mag that measures around 3.009" I have been playing with a few loads found a 2.993" col with rl26 and 143 eldx that shoots .4s which to me is pretty adequate out of the proof barrel. The stock on the ultralite isn't the best but is adequate. It is a light rifle and a good hunting setup. Best of luck and to be honest it is a great all around caliber for hunting.

I'm kinda partial to Winchester in certain factory models. In semi customs, any Classic or CRF. My choice:

Looks to be in stock at Gearfire Firearms group. Might need to google Gearfire dealers for your area. This is the dealer I use. Free shipping and FFL w/ mine. Dealers set their own selling price so check them all in your range of driving.