6.5 PRC

Ive got one coming next week I plan on using this deer season. I can't decide on a bullet. Ranges will be 50 to 400 yds where I hunt in Ky. Have you shot anything up close with Bergers?

Closest shot I've had with a Berger was 110 yards on a black bear with 168 vld in a 308 Winchester. 150 yards cow elk 140 vld 6.5 creedmoor. Havent had any issues with bergers with the 10-12 critters in the last 5 years

Hope to use mine on a high country mule deer this fall. Shooting 140 Berger vld at 3020 fps. Also have a bear and an elk tag to fill. 100% confident it will do the job
What unit did you get your high country mule deer tag in? I think I can draw the Zirkel Wilderness tag next year even though that's not the unit I want to hunt the most.

I've got a GAP 6.5 PRC that's become my primary white tail rifle. Took an 8 pt. Kansas buck with it at 334 yds and another Georgia 8 pt at 408 yds with it last hunting season. Both with 143 gr. ELD-X's (3056 fps MV). Neither deer went further than 40 yards after the shots. Shot a couple of coyote's with it as well.

Bought a lightweight APR rifle in 6.5 PRC that I plan on using for mule deer and coues, as well as taking with me to the Yukon next year for Dall. Working up a load with 139 gr. Scenars for this rifle.

Wondering if anybody on the forum is using this round as a hunting rig? What bullets are you using?
I have one coming, it's a Christensen Traverse. Hope to use it for Muledeer this fall in Wyoming. Would appreciate any advise on bullet choice. Have been there twice, got a really nice 6X6 Elk and a decent Antelope. Used a Defiance in 7mm WSM.
It's a bit heavy so I thought I'd try a Christensen Traverse.

Just had a light weight one built to replace my heavy weight long range hunting rifle. Went from a 10 lb (bare) 7mm LRM to a 6.75 lb (bare) 6.5 PRC.

>Lighter rifle
>Less powder per shot
>Less expensive brass, way less
>More or less the same effect on game at 1000 yards

I am using the Hornady 143 ELDX and Berger 156 EOL. I have tried the Berger 140 Elite Hunter, Nosler 142 ABLR, Hornady 147 ELDM, and Barnes 127 LRX. The 143 shot so good and blows all the lighter bullets away ballistically, the 147 is a target bullet that can work on game buts again the 143 shot so good there's no advantage. I am just now working up a load with the 156 as it just became available. I have reached 3000 fps with velocity in some velocity node tests and just shot 20, 30, and 40 off. I needed 2990 fps to make the 156gr ballistically Superior to the 143gr. Now I just need to tweak it some. The 30 off shot 1/2 MOA at 200 yards. I'll tweak it a little maybe get it sub 1/2 MOA.
IMG_20190803_142014.jpg

I don't have a 6.5PRC yet, but I've killed I've killed a few deer with my 6.5 RemMag with 120 grain bullets and one with a factory 100gr CoreLokt. I used a Speer 120gr spitzer once and the bullet blew up. The hit was broadside through the lungs and the deer went down in its tracks. The Sieras were okay and corelokts were best

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.