6.5 prc

6.5 PRC is a great caliber. I love mine but I would check ammunition availability before picking the cartridge. Sometimes the 6.5 PRC can be extremely hard to get ammo for. Same with the reloading components, especially good brass. Not trying to talk you out of it. I love mine but just wanted to share some info on what I have seen the past couple of years. The 6.5 Creedmoor would work fine for 300 yards and under and its way easier to get ammo for. If your going to stretch it out to farther distances then I would stick with the PRC. Everybody and their brother is making a PRC these days. Go to the LGS and pick a few up and see which one feels best to you. I love the looks of some rifles but when I shoulder them they don't fit me right. Good Luck with your search. I hope you find one you love.

Thinking of buying new rifle chambered in 6.5 prc .looking for a factory rifle that looks decent but accuracy is my main goal. Trying to stay about 1500$ or less any advice would be greatly appreciated. And also how is the performance on deer 300 yards or less . Thanks in advance
Mauser M18

Hey, heres what I am doing, bought a used tikka 300 wm and rebarreled with bartlein ss 22inch barrel. tikka and barrel install around $1600. I did buy a new GRS bitfrost stock and mountain tac bottom metal and mags. You could use factory stock and hardware and have semi custom for aroind 1600 if you can find a donor tikka. 300 wm setup gives enough room for long coal. dont have in hand yet, but planning on shooting factory ammo. good luck.

I agree with TM 1st class on the Mauser M18 rifle. I had a friend of mine pick one up around $430 and tried to get me to buy one but I did not need another caliber. He put a Vortex HP 4x16 on it and I lined it up with Hornady 147 grain ammo (factory) and it is a hole puncher. He shot a deer last year around 300 yards and it just dropped dead. I was impressed with the caliber and the Mauser brand too. It has a 24" barrel and is light. Yes, there was a little recoil but it is very tolerable.

Thinking of buying new rifle chambered in 6.5 prc .looking for a factory rifle that looks decent but accuracy is my main goal. Trying to stay about 1500$ or less any advice would be greatly appreciated. And also how is the performance on deer 300 yards or less . Thanks in advance
Yes....buy a .308 instead! ( or a Howa in 6.5 prc)

6.5 PRC is a great caliber. I love mine but I would check ammunition availability before picking the cartridge. Sometimes the 6.5 PRC can be extremely hard to get ammo for. Same with the reloading components, especially good brass. Not trying to talk you out of it. I love mine but just wanted to share some info on what I have seen the past couple of years. The 6.5 Creedmoor would work fine for 300 yards and under and its way easier to get ammo for. If your going to stretch it out to farther distances then I would stick with the PRC. Everybody and their brother is making a PRC these days. Go to the LGS and pick a few up and see which one feels best to you. I love the looks of some rifles but when I shoulder them they don't fit me right. Good Luck with your search. I hope you find one you love.

It seems to be getting a lot better, or perhaps I have great timing. It seems like I can throw a rock & find quality PRC brass. Powder is actually becoming more available (I actually found H4350, H1000 & Varget at a LGS last weekend 🙀). Now primers..... that's been my weakest link, by a large margin.

t

i have a number of Tikka T3 rifles and love all of them. Several in 6.5 creedmoor a 7mm RM and 300 WM -
i own a 6.5 PRC in Browning Xbolt Hells Canyon Long Range. i love it. it shoots 143 ELD-X really well. i've killed a lot of deer with it from 70 yards to 400. killed a cow elk at 495 with it.

i have heard people say they couldnt get their xbolt to group, but i cant get the two xbolts I own to not group.

photo attached is this years first three from the rifle @ 100 yds when i was sighting in… i think it groups just fine.😂

Attachments

• CFB07341-EB9C-4D6A-AEB8-2C4EFAD215B0.jpeg
    CFB07341-EB9C-4D6A-AEB8-2C4EFAD215B0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
i have both x bolts same model - one is a 6.5 creedmoor - Hells Canyon Long Range bought this first, liked it a ton and when the 6.5 PRC rifle/cartridge came out i got the same model in the PRC. both have 26" barrel. when i bought them i believe i paid around 900 for each. 2 years apart.

the tikkas also shoot great and cost less. they were 699 for a while, the last two I bought were 749 but i think i last saw them advertised for 799.

I've got a 5-25x50 burris signature scope on my PRC - great scope. very happy with the setup.

i have a couple pictures of some tikka T3 lite and T3x superlight groups in 6.5 creedmoor, i'll find one and add here.

i actually had a tikka T3 lite in 270 WSM, wasnt a big fan of the cartridge and bought it intending to make it a donor rifle to build a PRC, i liked the Browning so much i just bought another browning in it. but still didnt like the WSM, i bought a new Tikka take off barrel in 6.5 creedmoor on ebay, (seller is a LRH member in idaho) i removed the WSM barrel and threaded on the one i bought on ebay. last two years it has taken several deer. just this morning my 12 year old used it to take a real nice 3x3 muley at 455 yards.

if you dont expect to hunt anything larger than deer out to 300 yards the PRC will do it no problem, but the 6.5 creedmoor will do it just as well… we have killed a lot of game (deer, elk, coyotes, badgers) over the last 9 years with the creedmoor… in the creedmoors we use the 127gr Barnes LRX.
now that my older boys are hunting having 3 creedmoors (2 tikka and one browning) sure makes it easy when one of us need ammo, since we all are using the same we just share a round if needed. just this morning when my son was shooting his deer, i droped the magazine from my rifle to hand to him in case he ended up needing it.(he missed on shot #1) but since the deer acted un bothered i told him to take a couple deep breathes and try again when he was ready, 2nd shot dropped him.

photo attached in this reply is: todays buck and the PRC group from a month ago. the photo in the prior reply was the tikka in 6.5cm group image. probably my best 6.5prc 3 shot group yet…

Attachments

• A03123AD-D779-4445-B223-AAAAD26B8204.jpeg
    A03123AD-D779-4445-B223-AAAAD26B8204.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 50
  • 63FB6166-19B7-433F-916A-3A0D6B95C2DE.jpeg
    63FB6166-19B7-433F-916A-3A0D6B95C2DE.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
yep super happy.
it was the furthest he had shot at game. but with practice it is doable!!
we regularly shoot water filled milk jugs at 430 yards,
I've done milkjug shoots at 1000 as well. pretty cool when it all comes together at distance like that. makes a 500 yard shot pretty darn comfortable.

I have a Savage 110 Ultralight in 6.5 PRC. Very accurate, very light, and can be had for around $1200-1250. I will say that the action was a bit rough when new, but keeps getting smoother as its cycled.
I second this. You could even go with the Savage Ultralite Camo in 6.5 PRC. The Camo version comes with a Proof carbon wrapped barrel.