Best 270Win Load?

Roy,

Thanks for the information. Those are some GOOD speeds. I don't have 27" barrel but your speeds still have me excited to try some new things. Now I just need to find some powder. I'd still like to try RL26 for sure and maybe IMR7977...I hate having a pound on hand for just a handful of loads when testing, but my buddy has a 7mag and maybe I can talk him into splitting a pound.

130 grain Nosler Partition with IMR 4064. Might be called "old school" but it has worked for me for 35 years so why change it?

Red Sparky,

I totally agree with your statement.

If I were using the rig for deer at ranges around 400 yards are less I'd definitely stick with a load such as that.

However, I'm a long range velocity hawg and want to use the 270 Win out towards 750 yards or maybe a bit more on yotes. Deer, not quite so far.

The ol' girl doesn't get the respect that she should.....

h29zo107.jpg

royinidaho--I have stretched it past the 400 yard mark on deer. When I was young and dumb I saw a buck feeding across 2 small canyons. Line of sight was +500 yards, long before the days of rangefinders and just a fixed Weaver K-6. I aimed for what I estimated was correct height but didn't account for wind. One shot through the jugular, aiming for lung shot, glad he was facing the right way for the wind. Talk about beginners luck as that is what it was. Now my big game is done with ML and bow but I love to take the .222 out for prairie dogs long range and ringing the gongs at 500 with the .270.

royinidaho--I have stretched it past the 400 yard mark on deer. Now my big game is done with ML and bow but I love to take the .222 out for prairie dogs long range and ringing the gongs at 500 with the .270.

Red Sparky,

I certainly hear what you're saying.:)

I was in Los Alamos awhile back and spent the best part of the life of a 270 Allen Mag on some of target rich rock out crops.

New Mexico, what a wonderful place to be!

royinidaho--I have stretched it past the 400 yard mark on deer. When I was young and dumb I saw a buck feeding across 2 small canyons. Line of sight was +500 yards, long before the days of rangefinders and just a fixed Weaver K-6. I aimed for what I estimated was correct height but didn't account for wind. One shot through the jugular, aiming for lung shot, glad he was facing the right way for the wind. Talk about beginners luck as that is what it was. Now my big game is done with ML and bow but I love to take the .222 out for prairie dogs long range and ringing the gongs at 500 with the .270.

Half grain under Hodgdon max of IMR 4451 under 129g LRX cronos 3100fps in my 24" Geraci Accuracy 270 Win. 1.5" groups at 200yds. Devastating on deer. And red deer to 400 pounds. Hit on shoulder usually drops the animal. Always pass thru. I like copper eraser in 4451 but H4350 works the same.

The beauty of the 270 win is it shots alot of powder well. Bear in mind that most .277 bullets WERE ENGINERRED for the 270 win velocitys,,,, you dont have that advantage wth alot of other calibers. Try a 130 Hornady FB and Reloader 22,,,,usually works

N-560 has been great with 110 and 130's

H4831 always just plain works with 150's

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

58g of H4831 with 140g Nosler ballistic tips shoots a tiny bug hole in two Rem 700's that are bedded and freefloated. Bullet .005 off the lands.

Sure sounds like I need to try some 4000 and IMR 7828! Thanks for the tip!

51DA5914-4EB0-443F-9E2F-2515EA22E606.jpeg

1 fouling shot then 3 shot group @ 200yds. Factory Win M70 Fwt 270Win in a Fwt pattern McMillan stock.

140gn Barnes TSX @ 3030fps. Ramshot Hunter powder, win LR primer, Rem brass, loaded on a Dillon 550 press.