6.5 PRC, 124HH, 7.5 twist Proof Carbon - issues

jareese

Hello all - I'm having an issue with something and I'm not real sure what direction to turn at this time.

My setup:
Lone Peak Razor Long action, Vortex LHT 4.5-22x50, 26" Prefit Proof Research 6.5 PRC w/ 7.5 twist, RL-26, BR-2 primers, New Lapua Brass (all trimmed to equal length on Giraud) Powder is being dropped by an Autotrickler v4

*I previously I had a Custom carbon wrapped Mullerworks 30 Sherman Magnum barrel on this action bedded into an AG Composite stock. Built by Pederson Precision here in Wisconsin.
**This action shows a little pressure signs on ALL brass, regardless of load. (light ejector flow w/ slight swipe)

I started load development on this new barrel with the Hammers. Started at 57.5 gr and went up to 61 based off of pressure testing. (new barrel though)
Pretty hot, speeds 3350's+ had some hard bolt lift and some clickers higher up, nothing horrible, brass still in good shape. Nice groups at 100, but way too hot.
Dropped the load test to 55-57.5 still have upper 3200's, with some heavy bolt lift on a few, couple clickers yet, several flyers at 350 yards, much worse further out. Gave the barrel a clean to almost bare metal, and now trying to decide what to do. Total round count right now is 140...
I've been chasing my tail and I'm running out of new brass. I have the dreaded clickers on reloads, even 1x. I'm waiting for my AW2 reamer (Jan-Feb '23).

Using the Teslong checking the barrel it almost looks as though it's all scratched up?? Could the bullets be scratching somehow?? I use a carbon cleaning rod with brass tip, no steel, for cleaning.

Looking for some advice. Do I hang it up until I get the reamer then check again? Do I drop down closer to 50 grains and keep going? Is the barrel crap?
I've only got 60 new cases left with a couple months before the reamer gets here, so if I wait i can keep my eye out for brass also...

I've been reloading for close to 10 years, shooting "longer" ranges for about 5-6'ish years, with a few mile plus (casual) shoots. I've never had this much difficulty with this.

What would you do?

Jarese,
Look at Hammer Hunter Load Data on this Forum. Others have the same load, getting 3200 with no pressure and 0.5" groups?
Yep, I have, quite a bit. One of the reasons I chose the pressure test range I did.
One of the things I can't figure out though, and I know new barrels speed up, is why the speeds are not dropping more dramatically than they are, with the drop in powder charge.

Sounds like a 6.5 PRC, get the reamer so you can reuse your brass, yes, lower the powder charges till you don't have pressure signs. I went from 57 gr RL-26 all the way down to 53.7 gr between 100 shots and 200 shots thru the barrel (as it sped up) and showed pressure. Node was right at 3000 fps, ended up having to use the lower node in the end.

Sounds like a 6.5 PRC, get the reamer so you can reuse your brass, yes, lower the powder charges till you don't have pressure signs. I went from 57 gr RL-26 all the way down to 53.7 gr between 100 shots and 200 shots thru the barrel (as it sped up) and showed pressure. Node was right at 3000 fps, ended up having to use the lower node in the end.
Good to hear - how's your accuracy?