6.5 prc issue (SOLVED)

stevers75

I'm still pretty green when it comes to reloading and I've ran into an issue with my 6.5 prc. I made up a couple loads with lapua brass, 156 Berger's, 56gr of RL 26 and 215 primers at 2.955". I shot 2 and was at 2880 with no signs of pressure. I bumped up .2 grains, didn't change anything else, and now the gun will not chamber them. I've ran a few empty pieces of brass and it chambers them just fine but as soon as I seat a bullet, the bolt stops about 3/8" before close. Anybody else have this issue? It chambers a hornady round without problem, it chambered my first 2 loads without problem. *EDIT, a few guys on here got me straightened out, i didnt have my seating die setup correctly and was bumping the shoulder out. Thanks to all for the help!

Last edited:
Over 33 pages. Have fun!!!

The first 2 lapua pieces I loaded chambered and shot fine. Then the next batch will not chamber.

And your COAL is for sure at 2.995 like it was on your first loads? It's nothing to do with the PRC die problem so you can skip reading that. Maybe make a dummy round at 2.950, try chambering it, if not seat it to 2.900 etc. 2.995 shouldn't be jammed but it's worth a try to narrow it down.

Yes, I made a round at 2.935" and it won't chamber either. It's much shorter than the factory stuff

Also measure the necks with a bullet seated vs the factory ammo and virgin brass that chambers fine to make sure you didn't get some thick necked brass that once you seat a bullet there isn't enough neck clearance to chamber. That's a far fetched theory but something to check.

Smoke a bullet on your dummy load and see if you can see where it's making contact.

I have issues with a fierce in 300 prc. I bump the shoulders a bit more than usual and ceased to have this issue. The only rifle I do that for. I have a 6.5 prc as well don't have this problem but that fierce definitely has a tighter chamber. Maybe give it a bit extra.