6.5 PRC reloading issue (not clickers)

rharfo

I have a few questions for those reloading the 6.5 PRC. I am not getting clickers and have read all of the recent posts (Thanks Alex Wheeler).

I am reloading for two different rifles. A HS Precision and a friends Christensen Arms. I am going to stick to my HS for the time being.
My issue: My chamber wants the brass resized to 1.663 as measured with my Hornady Headspace comparator. I have two sets of dies purchasing the Redding set after I thought I had a die issue with the Hornady. I am finding that I have to cam over on the shell holder to get the brass to 1.663. This is causing neck dents in the brass.
Brass does not need trimmed as it measures under 2.030. What the heck am I doing wrong? I have cleaned the die to ensure nothing inside is causing the dent. I have been reloading for 25 years and never had a problem like this. My buddies rifle wants the brass set back to 1.558 +/-. Geez. Help!

My load for the HS is right out of Hornady's book and shows no pressure and shoots great. 57.4 H1000, 147 ELDM 2.955 OAL.

One note, I would trim the cases back to under 2.020. I've been trimming mine to 2.015-2.017 and have not had issues. Hornady suggests 2.015. When you say neck dent do you mean on the case mouth, like its bottoming out in the die or do you see dents in the shoulder?

what size comparator are you using? the .420?
Never had neck dents or seen neck dents....... many shoulder dents though full length sizing 6.5 PRC Hornady brass, if i am not careful. The slightest amount of lube from my fingers gets transferred onto the shoulder while picking up the brass by the neck off the lube pad and putting the case into the shell holder on the press. using mostly Gunwerks brass now, the problem pops much less often; with both Gunwerks and Bertram brass. I think the Hornady shoulders are thinner or softer or both. They blow out back to normal after firing.

One note, I would trim the cases back to under 2.020. I've been trimming mine to 2.015-2.017 and have not had issues. Hornady suggests 2.015. When you say neck dent do you mean on the case mouth, like its bottoming out in the die or do you see dents in the shoulder

Attachments

• 1BEC995D-F5ED-4E55-B582-3B66D505806C.jpeg
    1BEC995D-F5ED-4E55-B582-3B66D505806C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 196
Try imperial sizing die wax on the case body. None on the shoulder and imperial graphite neck lube for the neck. Use very little of the case wax.i have a 35mm film cannister with bird s hot in it with the graphite to apply it to the neck.this has eliminated my shoulder dents. Also a chamber length gage from Sinclair will tell you how much you really need to trim your cases too.

Try imperial sizing die wax on the case body. None on the shoulder and imperial graphite neck lube for the neck. Use very little of the case wax.i have a 35mm film cannister with bird s hot in it with the graphite to apply it to the neck.this has eliminated my shoulder dents. Also a chamber length gage from Sinclair will tell you how much you really need to trim your cases too.
I agree, anytime I have had dents it was due to hydraulic denting from lube. Graphite on the necks works well with regular lube on the body.

I have used Hornady dies and Hornady brass trimmed to 2.020 with no issues. Lubed with Imperial die wax and dry lube at the neck. Some cam over can be necessary depending on your case holder and die.

This conversation has me curious, educate me on how this case behaves differently than other similar cases? Always looking to learn.