Reloading the 6.5 PRC

opie#1

Looking for a starting point on a load that works well for someone.
Just getting started loading for it, custom, with 26 inch proof barrel.
any info is much appreciated.
Thanks

What bullet do you want to shoot?
Was thinking a 143gr hornady ELDX, only reason I'm thinking that bullet, is because it shot ok in the factory ammo, and i have been shooting steel out to 1200yds with factory ammo.
I am really open to any brand, I want to develop a load for distance, on targets as well as coyotes and deer, antelope.
it shoots about 1MOA with factory ammo, 3000FPS, deviation of 15FPS at 100 YDS.
Guess maybe I'm trying to copy the factory ammo, but am open to suggestions.

Was thinking a 143gr hornady ELDX, only reason I'm thinking that bullet, is because it shot ok in the factory ammo, and i have been shooting steel out to 1200yds with factory ammo.
I am really open to any brand, I want to develop a load for distance, on targets as well as coyotes and deer, antelope.
it shoots about 1MOA with factory ammo, 3000FPS, deviation of 15FPS at 100 YDS.
Guess maybe I'm trying to copy the factory ammo, but am open to suggestions.

My preference would be RL26. Start at 55 grains and work up with a 143 seated .020" off the lands. Expect the powder charge to end up somewhere between 56 and 57 grains. For primers, my PRCs shoot best with the Federal 210(M)

Thanks for the information.
I am guessing you shoot this bullet as well?
Also, have you ever experienced RL26 to be sensitive to temp?
Where i live (central oregon, high desert) we can have some severe temp swings, I have never used this powder before.

Thanks for the information.
I am guessing you shoot this bullet as well?
Also, have you ever experienced RL26 to be sensitive to temp?
Where i live (central oregon, high desert) we can have some severe temp swings, I have never used this powder before.

I shoot both the 147 and 143 in my PRCs. I've tested single digit velocity shifts between 15° and 80° with RL26. Above and below that range it shifts a little bit more, but I've never had my loads shift more than 20 fps from the original velocity.

I was thinking about a Berger as well, any chance you shoot one of those?

I have some 140 EH hybrids on the bench. I switched my Creedmoor over to them, but I haven't worked with them in the PRC yet. I probably will soon, though.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.