6.5 Creedmor or 6.5 PRC? Budget Rifle & Scope Recommendations?

Yeah, they're fixed power.

I have a cabela's Covenant 7 5-35x56 FFP that is a lot of scope for the money. It's on a target rimfire, but the glass and fov are good with only slight chromatic aberrations at the highest magnifications.

I'm seriously considering getting the 3-21x50 FFP version for one of my hunting rifles. You can get them new for $400 or look on ebay and find them occasionally. Usually in the $250 range for used on there.

They're mil/mil with a pretty good reticle and come in both FFP and SFP. I would stay away from the 5-35x56 SFP. It uses the same reticle as the 3-21 SFP so it's only accurate at 21x and there is no detent to tell you where that is
Also look at the Vortex 3x18 have two of them good scope for the price.

As nobody has mentioned it, 6.5 CM is easy to make from 308 cases.

My CM cases made from LC 7.62x51 NM cases are better than any you can buy.

I do the same for 6 creedmoor. I make it from .243WIN mostly. I like being able to trim just short of max case OAL for my chamber and setting head spacing tight for the first firing.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I am wanting something a little smaller and cheaper to shoot than my 300WM. I am wanting this rifle for mule deer hunting (out to 600 yards) & LR shooting practice, considering I am very new to it all.

I am wanting to stay as close as I can to sub $1000 for both the rifle and scope combined.

First of all...

6.5 CM or PRC?
Rifle recommendations?
Scope recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Check out: ARKEN OPTICS
they sell a 4x14x44 FFP Side focus with 30mm tube $349.00 Zero stop turrets, accurate and repeatable tracking and guaranteed for life.
I have one on my 6.5 CM and it is awesome
www.ArkenOpticsUSA.com

While now out of production you can still easily find Bushnell Elite LRTS scopes. They are 4.5 - 18 x 44 mm with 30 mm tubes and available G3 reticles.

Mine is the black model with illuminated G3 reticle and sits on my 6.5 PRC Browning X-Bolt Pro long range rifle for hunting here in the western states.

Otherwise I'd save up for a Nightforce scope of your choice. "Buy once, cry once."

Eric B.

lot of great budget rifles, check buds guns. Creedmoor is a great choice i have both as well. It's just so easy to shoot and very reliable and easy to find ammo for now. Look for black friday deals on vortex, leupold etc (eurooptics, optics plannet along with the big retailers) so many options. Get a gun with 24-26" barrel and u will want optics to streatch is out as well. Good luck in your search;

Save your money a little longer to about $1,200. When you go cheap, you usually get what you pay for. Get u a nice Tikka 6.5 cm for about $650, an Arken for about $400 and rings/bases $150. Solid combination there.

To easily obtain 1500lbs @ 600 Yards you need a 7mm Rem Mag at a minimum and since you want to focus on Target shooting I'd recommend a Short Ultra 30 Caliber Magnum that will easily accomplish Hunting @ 600 and very proven for Target - Competition use. Your Enduro Rifle theory really won't work IMO, you need a small 6mm Target and just keep your 300 Win Mag for Elk/Mule. Tubbs 6XC or the 6-6.5x47mm are both proven as well as 6mm BR. You will be miles ahead if you go this Route. Enduro bikes are slow and won't excel on or off road, neither will a Rifle.

Last edited:
I agree with the Tikka t3 for a rifle. I don't own one, but the Arken Optics 6-24x50 Gen 2 I would love to get my hands on to try out. Roughly costs $600. Attached link is a review from TiborasaurusRex on the scope. I would also invest is good rings, I am partial to Talley.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.