6.5 Creedmor or 6.5 PRC? Budget Rifle & Scope Recommendations?

For a budget optic, I'd go with a Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16, I've had mine for a few years now and got it on sale at Midway for 200 bucks, far superior than the standard Diamondback. For a low, low budget rifle, my son's TC Compass Gen 1 6.5cm shoots amazingly well. I did the trigger myself and added a Ruger Hybrid brake, 5r rifled and Model 70 style safety. These might be too low of options but they definitely perform.

I just picked up a tikka 6.5 t3x roughtex extremely happy so far as far as glass I'm trying out a vortex midway has on sale for 359 haven't received it yet but when it comes in I'll let you know how it is

Check out Riton scopes they have a reasonable price on 1in models the Swfa are good but fixed power vortex has some reasonable price 4x12x40 diamond back the 6.5 creed would be my choice as ammo is better selection Ruger American Predator is accurate the savage and tiki all very good but what do I know good luck you can't go wrong with any of the choices listed on the forum

I'd second the recommendations for a tikka.

With regards to caliber, if you're on a budget, don't reload, and are just looking at deer I'd go creedmoor. If you do reload, RL26 can close the gap between the two. I love my PRC, but I'm loading light at 3060 fps with 140s, a lot of people are doing 2900s (or more) with RL26 in the creedmoor.
Anyone have absolute hammer loads with the RL 26 and the 123 grain absolutes? I looked at the latest (I think) list and did not see that combo.
Much thanks.

Thank you! Are the SWFA scopes a locked 10 power? Since this will be a hunting rifle, I'd like magnification adjustability.
Yeah, they're fixed power.

I have a cabela's Covenant 7 5-35x56 FFP that is a lot of scope for the money. It's on a target rimfire, but the glass and fov are good with only slight chromatic aberrations at the highest magnifications.

I'm seriously considering getting the 3-21x50 FFP version for one of my hunting rifles. You can get them new for $400 or look on ebay and find them occasionally. Usually in the $250 range for used on there.

They're mil/mil with a pretty good reticle and come in both FFP and SFP. I would stay away from the 5-35x56 SFP. It uses the same reticle as the 3-21 SFP so it's only accurate at 21x and there is no detent to tell you where that is

Ok these guys have you helped with rifle. I would also say creed I hunt most my animals with my creed out to 600. As for scope I couldn't recommend swfa I have some and they are fine for the range as they are tough but low light is very bad. I'd have to say stick with vortex maybe the new 5-25 ffp

Interesting, I only have one SWFA, it's a 10X and I can easily take game with it here during legal shooting hours (half hour before and half hour after)

It's not terrible but seems very dark compared to even the mid range vortex or Nikon. May also be the specific scope I use. That being said I made the mistake of buying Lieca bios so now nothing seems to be great.

It's not terrible but seems very dark compared to even the mid range vortex or Nikon. May also be the specific scope I use. That being said I made the mistake of buying Lieca bios so now nothing seems to be great.

Yeah Leica glass would make swfa look dark.

Swfa glass isn't the greatest, there are other options in that price with better glass. SWFA is the best in that class when it comes to their erector assembly. Closest to bombproof you can get @ $300.

I have shot black painted steel just after legal hours with 10x, I usually stop because I don't want to annoy the neighbors rather than I cant see. Have been able to hit white painted steel after dark on a full moon night with the 6x.

I'm tempted to try the new vortex strike eagle.

6.5x55 available. Blows off a 6.5 CM and within OPs budget.

IMG_4099.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts