6.5 creedmoor vs PRC

JMO

You could just sell the boring 6.5 CM and get the PRC and not look back. I owned 2 6.5 CM's and found them to be about as boring as it gets with anemic velocities and always chasing more speed with handloads. The factory Hornady PRC ammo cost the same amount as CM ammo and for me it shoots the same bullets over 300 FPS faster in the PRC. There's going to be 4-5 more factory offerings in ammo for 2020 , it's popularity is not going to slow down, it's going to speed up. IMO the PRC is what the CM should have been.

I couldn't agree more. I like my Creed but wouldn't buy it again, too little powder capacity and velocity. For punching paper I would go 6.5 prc. For hunting I am using my 280ai and 257wby. 28 nosler is next for hunting

Just to be clear, just because a 7mm and .308 bullet weighs more DOES NOT any way mean it will perform better. Not sure if those are generalizations or some of you guys actually believe that crap is true. It takes a blend of velocity and BC to sort out the advantages/disadvantages of any cartridge and bullet choice. In order for a 7mm or .308 to perform at the same level, overall, you will be in a much heavier recoiling rifle and consume a heck of a lot more powder. Clearly that is fine, just need to understand that its not apples to apples if you go from 55-60 grain ammo to 80-90.

Also to be clear, the PRC and creed are vastly differently in performance. Owning both I am seeing 300-400 fps difference depending on how hard you push them. I know some creed guys claim ridiculous speeds but I am comparing similar barrel lengths at near max charges in mine. They are not even remotely on the same level. I still like my creeds and prefer to shoot them but for hunting applications were every advantage is desired I pack my 6.5 PRC.

As a hunter you're right. However the Creed was designed for AR-10 and competition purposes. I would say it's done well for its intended purpose. I rarely suggest a Creed for hunting.

I don't think the 6.5CM was designed primarily for the "AR10" platform. It was developed for "Long Range Target shooting" as stated by Hornady and Creedmoor Sports but also has good success in certain big game hunting situations.

I run about 2900 FPS out of my Creed with RL26 pushing 140 Berger's. My 65PRC build is in process and should be done in 6 weeks. Looking forward to running the new 156 Berger.

Agree with the comments that a 308 or 7mm of similar case capacity isn't necessarily better than a 6.5cm at longer ranges. Ballistic performance is pretty clear that the 6.5cm outruns the 308 even with 3 to 4 grains less of practical loading capacity. My personal opinion is I wouldn't take shots at game with a 6.5cm over 350 yards. Under 350 on game I am taking the 308. My personal experience which everyone is welcome to differ with

I don't think the 6.5CM was designed primarily for the "AR10" platform. It was developed for "Long Range Target shooting" as stated by Hornady and Creedmoor Sports but also has good success in certain big game hunting situations.

I run about 2900 FPS out of my Creed with RL26 pushing 140 Berger's. My 65PRC build is in process and should be done in 6 weeks. Looking forward to running the new 156 Berger.

CORRECT. The development of this cartridge had nothing to do with the AR10.

Agree with the comments that a 308 or 7mm of similar case capacity isn't necessarily better than a 6.5cm at longer ranges. Ballistic performance is pretty clear that the 6.5cm outruns the 308 even with 3 to 4 grains less of practical loading capacity. My personal opinion is I wouldn't take shots at game with a 6.5cm over 350 yards. Under 350 on game I am taking the 308. My personal experience which everyone is welcome to differ with

Just about any cartridge with a decent bullet will effectively kill inside of 350. That is just slightly beyond what most people in long range hunting consider point blank range. The 6.5 creed with a 140 class bullet is very effective. My neighbor has killed 7 elk with his from 150-500 yards. We have killed several good bulls out to 500 with our clients. All 1 and done shots. The creed is not a magical cartridge, it is the same as the 260, 6.5x47, and 6.5x55 swede. Just know the limits and understand the terminal ballistics.

Your correct just not sure a lot of people taking those shots do. I know a guide in New Mexico who has killed over 80 elk with a 220 swift. Hard to argue with his experience but I sure as heck wouldnt trust your average hunter to do that

Your correct just not sure a lot of people taking those shots do. I know a guide in New Mexico who has killed over 80 elk with a 220 swift. Hard to argue with his experience but I sure as heck wouldnt trust your average hunter to do that

Yep. Not my choice either. Although I have seen a lot of elk drop to a 243. Tons of deer are killed with 223. I think we are on the same page. The bottom line is that people put weird restrictions on the creed for the wrong reasons. Some sort of emotional bs going on. Looking at the facts, a creed will send a 143 at 2650-2800 from just about dang near every factory offering to a handload. A 308 can push a 150 at the same level. For some reason people put the .308 bullet on different scale.

In my mind if all you are doing is targets the creed is great. But for hunting I like speed. Hornady says R26 will get a 143 to 3150. Amazing for so small a case as the prc. Some 264 Winchesters have a hard time going that fast with us869. Loaded with 140 partitions or Woodleigh I would not be afraid at all to use it on elk or moose.

In my mind if all you are doing is targets the creed is great. But for hunting I like speed. Hornady says R26 will get a 143 to 3150. Amazing for so small a case as the prc. Some 264 Winchesters have a hard time going that fast with us869. Loaded with 140 partitions or Woodleigh I would not be afraid at all to use it on elk or moose.

I thinks possible. That is max tho. I am running a 135 at 3100 in my 22" proof. I am running a 156 at 2910. 140's settle in around 3050. So a 26" will be in the area of 3100-3150 and I do a know a couple guys pushing them to 3200 in a 26". Brass and barrel is going to be toast in short order tho.