6.5 creedmoor/6.5 prc recoil

Andy92

Just curious if anyone has shot a 6.5 prc and how the recoil is Vs a 6.5 creedmoor? I have a 7mm rem mag with a muzzle break 26" barerel shooting 162 grain eld-x using a Zeiss conquest 4-12 scope and I just can't quite get the groups tight I don't know what it is? I'm just thinking human error with recoil? I have a sheep hunt in Alaska in 2019 and want to be confident shooting tight groups. Any advise would be awesome thanks.

Last edited:
6.5 creedmoor prc (precision rifle cartridge) Hornady made it, 250 FPS faster out of the muzzle better ballistics. Google/YouTube it
I think you are confusing 2 different cartridges. The "6.5 Creedmoor" is one cartridge, and the "6.5 PRC" is a different cartridge entirely. The 6.5 Creedmoor is based on a modified .308 Winchester case, the 6.5 PRC is based on a modified RSAUM (Remington Short-Action Ultra Mag) case.

I think you are confusing 2 different cartridges. The "6.5 Creedmoor" is one cartridge, and the "6.5 PRC" is a different cartridge entirely. The 6.5 Creedmoor is based on a modified .308 Winchester case, the 6.5 PRC is based on a modified RSAUM (Remington Short-Action Ultra Mag) case.
Yeah I very well could have, I just found out about the "6.5 prc" a few hours ago and haven't have been researching it. Any ways still curious about my original post.

Yeah I very well could have, I just found out about the "6.5 prc" a few hours ago and haven't have been researching it. Any ways still curious about my original post.

Hi Andy, I have a Custom built 6.5 PRC around 7lbs 14oz scoped and it does have recoil and yes more than a 6.5 Creedmoor of the same weight, the 6.5PRC shooting 140gr pills will have about 15lbs recoil and the 7mm shooting 162 gr will have about 21 lbs recoil
tell us about your 7mm rifle, Make model ? etc

Hi Andy, I have a Custom built 6.5 PRC around 7lbs 14oz scoped and it does have recoil and yes more than a 6.5 Creedmoor of the same weight, the 6.5PRC shooting 140gr pills will have about 15lbs recoil and the 7mm shooting 162 gr will have about 21 lbs recoil
tell us about your 7mm rifle, Make model ? etc

I bought a used remmington 700 rmef edition synthetic stock stainless barrel. Nothings been changed since new

Attachments

• AE83171B-A455-4DF9-B426-DF32D12F081D.png
    AE83171B-A455-4DF9-B426-DF32D12F081D.png
    798.3 KB · Views: 960
The stock will be shifting ur poi and if it has the xmark trigger, well heavy pull trigger weights never help anyone shoot well.

What you mean by the stock shifting position? And yes it does have the xmark pro trigger. What would you do swap out the trigger completely?

What you mean by the stock shifting position? And yes it does have the xmark pro trigger. What would you do swap out the trigger completely?
Yes, you swap the entire trigger assembly out. It's a drop-in unit held in with 2 pins. You might be best to have a professional do it. As for the stock, factory Remington stocks suck...Most factory stocks for all rifles are cheaply made and are not very rigid and stiff. If a stock has flex in it, it's not going to fully hold the recoil lug and action in the same exact place every time, it will flex when the rifle recoils as the shot is fired, and can cause accuracy issues. This is why upper-end rifles that have factory HS Precision and McMillan stocks on them, are typically worth the higher price, because otherwise, you will be upgrading your stock as time goes on, which is going to end up costing you the same amount of money as just buying the higher priced factory rifle with the good stock to begin with.

Granted, I know most folks don't always have the cash to drop on a higher priced rifle...I've been there. So, slowly doing some upgrades like buying a better aftermarket stock, an aftermarket trigger, and having the action bedded and the barrel free-floated can make drastic improvements in the accuracy of a factory barreled action.

Yes, you swap the entire trigger assembly out. It's a drop-in unit held in with 2 pins. You might be best to have a professional do it. As for the stock, factory Remington stocks suck...Most factory stocks for all rifles are cheaply made and are not very rigid and stiff. If a stock has flex in it, it's not going to fully hold the recoil lug and action in the same exact place every time, it will flex when the rifle recoils as the shot is fired, and can cause accuracy issues. This is why upper-end rifles that have factory HS Precision and McMillan stocks on them, are typically worth the higher price, because otherwise, you will be upgrading your stock as time goes on, which is going to end up costing you the same amount of money as just buying the higher priced factory rifle with the good stock to begin with.

Granted, I know most folks don't always have the cash to drop on a higher priced rifle...I've been there. So, slowly doing some upgrades like buying a better aftermarket stock, an aftermarket trigger, and having the action bedded and the barrel free-floated can make drastic improvements in the accuracy of a factory barreled action.

Okay no problem, what kind of triggers would you recommend to try and get? I'll try a new stock and trigger and see what happens.

6.5 PRC's parent case is the 300RCM, not a SAUM case.

6.5 creedmoor prc (precision rifle cartridge) Hornady made it, 250 FPS faster out of the muzzle better ballistics. Google/YouTube it
You're mixing cartriges.

There is a 6.5CM.

There is a 6.5PRC.

They are two completely different animals.

If you're having trouble getting decent groups you need to start with looking at what you are shooting and whether or not the basics of accurization have been done.

Then look at mounts, your scope, etc and make sure you have no problems with any of them.

Then look at your twist rate and be sure it's adequate for the bullet you are shooting.

Then we get down to user error as possibly the problem.

Groups won't matter much to you in the field, first round consistency is the most important element and then at most two quick follow ups.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts