6.5 creedmoor vs PRC

I thinks possible. That is max tho. I am running a 135 at 3100 in my 22" proof. I am running a 156 at 2910. 140's settle in around 3050. So a 26" will be in the area of 3100-3150 and I do a know a couple guys pushing them to 3200 in a 26". Brass and barrel is going to be toast in short order tho.

I'm building my PRC with the 22" proof as well along with a Defiance Tenacity action. How does the 156 shoot for you and what powder are you using?

JMO

You could just sell the boring 6.5 CM and get the PRC and not look back. I owned 2 6.5 CM's and found them to be about as boring as it gets with anemic velocities and always chasing more speed with handloads. The factory Hornady PRC ammo cost the same amount as CM ammo and for me it shoots the same bullets over 300 FPS faster in the PRC. There's going to be 4-5 more factory offerings in ammo for 2020 , it's popularity is not going to slow down, it's going to speed up. IMO the PRC is what the CM should have been.
I totally Agree:::

What's wrong with your Creedmoor d-dog,,, what benefits would like like to see...

Do you have a particular barrel length would you like to use for this hunting rifle...

Do you reload your own ammo...

Goosh,,, I shoot along side of a fellow at our range,,, his 140 gr bullets are 140 ft-per seconds slower then my 6.5 A-square at 2880,,, He's seeing 2740 ft-per seconds that will flatten out Deer up close on out to distance...

Tikka lite in 6.5 24" barrel,,, and the darn thing shoots good...
He has shot hotter loads then that out of his rifle,,, but the 2740's group real good...

And those 140 grain'ers are still packing some good energy to the 3 and 400 meter +++ mark...

Just asking is all,,, nothing wrong with going bigger is better,,, in some cases for us that is...

Good times fore sure

Cheers from the North

I don't think the 6.5CM was designed primarily for the "AR10" platform. It was developed for "Long Range Target shooting" as stated by Hornady and Creedmoor Sports but also has good success in certain big game hunting situations.

I run about 2900 FPS out of my Creed with RL26 pushing 140 Berger's. My 65PRC build is in process and should be done in 6 weeks. Looking forward to running the new 156 Berger.
It was designed for competition as I stated. The AR-10 part is because it can function with a shorter COAL it works better in an AR-10. This was a by product not an original design purpose, I misspoke. I also have run my creed in the 2900+ range with a 140.

Is there a recoil chart or reference somewhere to compare the 6.5 PRC recoil to that of the 7mm RM? Obviously a factor of felt recoil is the weight of the rifle, but I was curious to get an apples-to-apples comparison.

Who said PRC has low recoil? You probably have not shot one.
Totally depends on what else you shoot. I have a 300 norma improved and 338 rum that are 11# or less all up shooting heavies fast, that's recoil. I have a 257 saum, 6.5 saum, and they recoil just a shade more than my dad seekins havak 6.5 prc. All of these rifles weigh in the 9-11# range with 3-4 port brakes. I feel the prc is pretty light recoil myself.

This is a no brainer in my opinion , the 6.5 PRC . For me a 140/150 grain bullet pushed at 2900- 3000 FPS and a solid B.C. is my choice in medium game hunting cartridge. PRC nails that so I'm good. Second thing here is Hornady took the 6.5CM and improved the CM and made the PRC .

I've owned the PRC ballistic twin, 6.5-284 Norma, for some time now. Love this cartridge. Very accurate and plenty of down range energy. Used it in a long range shooting class and it performed flawlessly out to 1070 yards. Great performance on hogs and white tails. A NM outfitter that I e hunted with a lot uses this cartridge for mule deer and told me they have taken many bull elk with it and 140 gr bullets. Now, I never thought I'd own a Creed. But, when my .243 needed a new barrel, my gunsmith suggested I make it a 6.5 Creedmoor. I agreed, thinking it would be a good plinking gun and something the kids could shoot. Well, I've been thoroughly impressed with it. But the most surprising thing was the velocity I was able to achieve with RL26 and the 143 gr ELDX. I got it over 3000 fps but my accuracy node is at 2940 fps. That's only 55 fps less than my 6.5-284 Norma gets with Retumbo. I attribute that velocity to RL26, but it still amazes me that I achieved these speeds. I'm actually considering selling my Norma now. The Creed is relatively cheap to shoot. Although the factory ammo is much slower than my handloads, it still shoots it very well. It's not finicky. Plus, you can find Creed ammo on the shelf in any town in America (same with 308, 30-06 and 7 Rem Mag) if you need it in a pinch.

Is there a recoil chart or reference somewhere to compare the 6.5 PRC recoil to that of the 7mm RM? Obviously a factor of felt recoil is the weight of the rifle, but I was curious to get an apples-to-apples comparison.

One of the few I have seen.

6.5-chart.png

So full disclosure, I'm not a rifle shooting expert like others on this board. I shoot rifles a lot, I build about 2 a year for myself and buddies, but rifles are my 2nd love after bows. Another disclaimer is I have always been a big cartridge, "no such thing as too dead" guy. Finally, I'm not big into handloading. I would love to get more into it, but I need another hobby like a need a hole in my head.

Ok, all those disclaimers aside, I built my father-in-law a 6.5 PRC last summer on a M700 donor rifle originally chambered in 270 WSM. That rifle has completely blown my mind and now I am in the process of building one for myself. That rifle paired with Hornady's factory precision hunter ammunition is amazing. We have shot hogs, whitetails, and a mule deer with the rifle and I cannot say enough how much that caliber impresses me. The recoil is very noticeably less than our 270 WSMs and 300 WSMs, however the performance on paper and game is comparable in my opinion. My father-in-law also says his 6.5 PRC kicks way less than his 270 Win, but his 270 win is pretty light too. We typically shoot our hogs in the head, but in Central Texas, the best test we could think of for the "tiny little" 6.5 rifle we build was to go find a 200+ lb hog and shoot him in the shoulder. I found one at 275 yards and shot him dead center in the shoulder... thing rolled like it got hit by a truck. I know there are TONS of super efficient calibers out there that do everything the 6.5 PRC will do, and I'm positive there will be 100 posts on here saying just that. However, in my opinion (I said my opinion guys) the 6.5 PRC is 2nd to none for guys like me that like the idea of stretching the typical hunting ranges a little, while maintaining light recoil, and having access to cheap factory ammunition. By the way I buy 6.5 PRC ammo for $34/box.

I'm not going to tell you that you NEED a 6.5 PRC, but I can first hand attest to how incredibly efficient the round is regarding trajectory and energy delivered vs recoil. One thing I will say is building 6.5 PRCs are cooler on some rifles than others. The 6.5 PRC is a cool simple build on some platforms, difficult and expensive on others.

One last thing I want to note. I have been following the 6.5 PRC for a little over a year now. I don't have a crystal ball regarding what factory ammunition will be available in the future, however it is amazing to me how much traction the 6.5 PRC has picked up over the last year. A year ago when I told my buddies I was starting a 6.5 PRC build, the normal response was, "a what".. "you mean a 6.5 Creedmore???" Now people respond more along the lines of "o yeah I'm thinking about building one too," or "man I keep hearing about that caliber seems cool," or my favorite, "why did they even do the Creedmoor if they were working on that?" (Creedmoor fans don't attack me its just a quote)

PM me if you have any questions, I don't sign onto the forums very often.

colt45_13: Can you help out suggesting if for a 6.5 PRC build it could be a L action or a S action?. I am thinking of up to 143 grain bullets and loading from magazine.

No matter what velocities are acquired by the Creedmoor reloader, the fact remains that the PRC will be still 250-300 fps faster using like powders at like pressures.

Having been a 6.5-284 fan for years, and have built two PRC's, I see a small velocity advantage to the PRC.

Personally I think the perfect quiver of rifles if you will would be a 6mm CM/x47 for deer, varmints or PRS, and 30 cal or 7mm magnum for elk or whatever else and extended range shooting, and then either a 338 win or a 416 rem depending on which continent you need the bigger rifle. If I were looking for a step up from the CM I'd want it to be a meaningful step up.

One of the few I have seen.

6.5-chart.png
That chart is definitely close to how I feel with my creed and prc shooting back to back. While the prc has more recoil, it wasn't a drastic amount more. I would compare it to a medium 308 load.