6.5 Creedmoor or 25-06 for Deer

I am sure you are right, unless YOU ARE WRONG. I guess that is why a 6.5 GAP 4S has a longer barrel life than a 6.5 × 284 Norma.
The 6.5 GAP 4s (72.8 grains of H20) is a joke. It's nothing more than a 6.5-300 SAUM. I also highly doubt it has better barrel life than the 6.5-284 (68.33 grains of H20), as the GAP has 4 grains more powder capacity.

Again what is the 6.5 PRC ? Another 6.5 I guess; Another question, Are these new 6.5s out shooting the 6.5 - 300s ? I cant hardly imagine so, they shot really well in no wind to very little wind at the 1000 yard competitions I saw them at.
The 6.5 PRC is a 6.5/300 RCM with a 30° shoulder and 1.92" body and an over caliber long neck. Very efficient case and is within 50 fps of a 6.5 GAP 4S.

Last edited:
A reduction in BC value for possibly longer barrel life. I don't shoot enough to wear out barrels. Barrel life will be more affected by other factors, IMO.

My question is, who's spent the time to document improved bore life by wearing out multiple barrels with a rebated boat tail bullet, and then with a standard boat tail? Can you provide reference material to support longer barrel life? There are a lot of variables that affect barrel life, and I expect rebated boat tail design is near the bottom of the list of affecting factors. Is this based on your own experience, or some formal scientific studies that you can provide references to???
I guess I would just leave science to scientists, there may be evidence that we know who you voted for in the last election. Your limbic system overloads your cerebral cortex, and you have a female brain. Instead of asking pertinent questions, you choose to attack facts and science.

To put it honestly and in layman's terms... It's Hornady's ripoff of the 6.5 SAUM.

As to are they out-shooting anything? No, Hornady just has a hell of a marketing department, along with the fact that none of these new shooters out there know what the cartridges are that Hornady keeps ripping off and calling their own. Makes you wonder what's next? They going to ripoff the .30-06 and call it something fancy?

Just like the people who jumped on and bought into the 6.5 GAP 4s bandwagon and it's nothing more than a 6.5 SAUM with different throat dimensions.

There's 20 different ways this cat has already been skinned over the years, but because Hornady has a knack for ripping things off, slightly changing them, churching things up, give them a fancy recognizable name, they could sell a bag of ice to an eskimo...

I'm not hating on Hornady. I'm more or less frustrated with how dumb society is to buy into these trends.
Thanks I never heard of Hornady doing that, I always liked their bullets. I liked the Amax for accuracy and didn't like when they quite making them and went to the ELD-X . I think I see what you mean, they said the ELD-X was something new. They don't shoot as good in my magnums as the Amax did, 300win. & 308 Norma mag. To bad its come to that. Off the subject saw your state got some snow, are you in that area and if so what did you think of it? If you like it you can have all of mine in PA. Good luck hunting and best of shooting in 2018.

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions and responses! You guys made me second guess my 2 choices... The 6.5x284 looks like a contender. I hear a long action might be necessary to be able to fit the longer oal. Is that true?

Wow, thanks for all the suggestions and responses! You guys made me second guess my 2 choices... The 6.5x284 looks like a contender. I hear a long action might be necessary to be able to fit the longer oal. Is that true?
Intermediate 7 × 57 action at least, if you choose that route. I have had a 7mm-08 and have a 7mm Rem Mag and am moving to either a 280 Imp. 30° or 280 Sherman. I am also getting rid of my Model 7, 260 Rem and going to a 6.5/280 AI or 6.5 Sherman. No more belted magnums for me. I soon will be able to do both calibers with one strong RWS case.

Wrong, if you run it in a benchrest situation where your ripping 10 rounds of after sighters it still does decent, in that situation the 6.5 SAUM will be toast long before!!
This guy ain't doing heavy rifle or barrel burner. No magnums for me anymore. 6.5 x 284 sucks, I am okay with the .284 Win. though with 168 JLK's.

Intermediate 7 × 57 action at least, if you choose that route. I have had a 7mm-08 and have a 7mm Rem Mag and am moving to either a 280 Imp. 30° or 280 Sherman. I am also getting rid of my Model 7, 260 Rem and going to a 6.5/280 AI or 6.5 Sherman. No more belted magnums for me. I soon will be able to do both calibers with one strong RWS case.
Not being smart, but you seem very knowledgeable about firearms and every time I see your name I think of the late Jack O'Connor, any relation ? Thanks again for your replies. Good luck hunting and shooting in 2018 everyone.

Yes, you should have a long action. A 6.5 that slings 140s near 3k would be a wicked deer rifle...I think I said that at the beginning of this. Lol. A 6.5x284 should fill that niche for you. Lapua brass to boot!

Not being smart, but you seem very knowledgeable about firearms and every time I see your name I think of the late Jack O'Connor, any relation ? Thanks again for your replies. Good luck hunting and shooting in 2018 everyone.
No relation, Jack was a 270 Win. Shooter. They don't make .277" bullets good enough for me. I shoot on both sides of the 270 with 6.5 & 7mm bullets. Jack was a great and knowledgeable man. He is sorely missed by many.

Thanks I never heard of Hornady doing that, I always liked their bullets. I liked the Amax for accuracy and didn't like when they quite making them and went to the ELD-X . I think I see what you mean, they said the ELD-X was something new. They don't shoot as good in my magnums as the Amax did, 300win. & 308 Norma mag. To bad its come to that. Off the subject saw your state got some snow, are you in that area and if so what did you think of it? If you like it you can have all of mine in PA. Good luck hunting and best of shooting in 2018.
Still dealing with the snow here. I've driven in snow and ice before up in Tennessee, but I haven't left my house in 2 days. The reason being, the roads are horrible, wrecks everywhere, and people around here already can't drive when it rains, snow and ice makes it 300x worse. It's not that I don't trust myself, it's every other idiot on the road I don't trust.

Talk to people that know, 6.5 × 284 is a short necked barrel burner.
I know what it is. But it's not going to be as much of a barrel burner as a cartridge with 4 more grains of powder with the same diameter bore. Same diameter hole, more powder means a longer flash, which means more heat, which leads to shorter throat life.