6.5 Creedmoor build 2K budget

I don't own one.....YET. But sure do like the Browning Hells Canyon. And they come in 6.5creed (if thats what he really wants. I wouldn't for elk) and they come in elk calibers too. But then, I have 3 Tikkas in my safe, all are sub moa rifles.

I have the Browning Hells Canyon in 6.5cm. It is hands down my favorite whitetail rifle. It was put in the McMillan Game Scout stock and shoots easily 1/2" 90% of time and usually well under that. As I caveat, I will say it would not be my "preferred" elk rifle. I would not hesitate to use on elk if that were my only choice, but I would not personally take a shot beyond 300 -350 yds on an elk with one.

The creedmoor is fine for elk. Don't let all these people convince you that elk are bulletproof. I'd rather have someone with me using a Creedmoor that gas shot it a lot than a guy that's put 200 or less rounds through his magnum anything. 143s kill elk fine in my experience, even at 770. Does a 300 winmag get you a little more room for error, sure it does. But 90% of the shots that will drop them with a 300 mag will drop them with a Creedmoor. Buy what you want, on your budget I'd get a Tikka, stockys vg2 stock, yodave trigger spring and spend the other $800 on glass. Midway has the 3-15 PST gen 2 on sale cheap right now. That would be fine for a budget hunting gun.

If this is a hunting scope only, do not buy FFP, unless it's illuminated. The reticle is too fine to see on low magnification in low light conditions.

I find it interesting this is a long range hunting forum and some people feel the need to discuss getting closer. WTH? If you want to be a close in hunter then get a bow. I haven't shot an elk with rifle since 1990 and have not one time felt the need to come on this site and tell anyone to get closer.

On another note, as a guide for my an outfitter friend we have had several hunts where the hunters used 6.5 CM very successfully to 500 yards. Not a single lost animal to date with the 6.5.

You won't find a more comfortable/clear scope than the siii. They eye box is very generous and forgiving. Vortex glass doesn't come close and costs more.

I find it interesting this is a long range hunting forum and some people feel the need to discuss getting closer. WTH? If you want to be a close in hunter then get a bow. I haven't shot an elk with rifle since 1990 and have not one time felt the need to come on this site and tell anyone to get closer.

On another note, as a guide for my an outfitter friend we have had several hunts where the hunters used 6.5 CM very successfully to 500 yards. Not a single lost animal to date with the 6.5.

I think they mean closer if you plan on using a 6.5 CM. Close is relative though.

The whole 6.5 cm debate is old. Terminal performance is the same process no matter what cartridge is chosen. It seems the creedmoor name suddenly makes go into a special category where sectional density, bullet design, fps, energy, etc are all ignored. This is a long range page where people should be educated on what is reasonable for each caliber choice and what is reasonable for the shooters ability.

Rule of thumb is generally bullet expansion velocity and energy correct? Well if you subscribe to that thought then 1800 fps and 1000 fps is considered acceptable in some circles, which puts a creedmoor with a 140 at 2740 fps at 800 yards. If you like the 1400-1500 lbs of energy rule then 500 is acceptable.

Whoa, I get the attraction to the 6.5 Creedmoor but I think you might want to consider the advice I've seen here from others...Unless you intend to get in REALLY CLOSE on elk before shooting, the 6.5 Creedmoor is borderline at best for reliable kills on elk. If you're not a fan of hard-recoiling cartridges, okay...I would seriously think 270 Winchester as a respectable MINIMUM for elk, whether your shooting handloads or top-end factory ammo. Remember it's not just about the foot-lbs of energy at any given distance, or the long-range ballistics or even pinpoint accuracy. It's about killing a big, notoriously tough animal in a clean, humane manner. Yes, I've seen it done and done well with a 270...and also watched an inexperienced elk hunter put 8 rounds (yes, read that correctly, 8 rounds!) of factory 7mm-08 into a spike bull. Then we chased it for more miles than I care to remember. It died alright, after a killing shot from another hunter with a more potent cartridge...but there was nothing to be proud of that day. Not to mention the amount of meat lost with that many holes in it.

Guess we all get to make our own choices, but I strongly urge you to consider hunting ethics and steer toward a cartridge better-suited for elk. Someone earlier mentioned 7mm Rem Mag...I'd salute that choice all day long.

300 win mag or even 338 win mag. 6.5 is not a great choice for elk. lots of great rifles on the market you have great choices. I use 338 win mag for deer and elk. Long range 300 win mag. easy to get ammo and brass. many great new bullets for both 300 and 338. Scope is what counts get a good one. I built my rifle way back and it never fails.

I am a huge fan of the 6.5. Own several in different flavors from the Creed to the 6.5-300. That said, friends don't let friends shoot elk with a 6.5. The exception may be if that's the only rifle someone owns and you make due with what you have. Been said several times already but to ensure the horse is dead - 6.5 as a dedicated elk cartridge is the wrong tool for the job.

Money in my pocket and had to pick a rifle for this setup (leaving funds for decent glass) the Browning X-Bolt, Model 70 Win or Tika T3X would be decided by a 3 sided coin toss. Plenty of good options out there depending on what the priorities are (brand loyalty, design, looks, feel, modability down the road, etc.).

If recoil sensitive, I would push my friend to look at the 308. Short action, light recoil (especially with a brake), every bit as accurate as the 6.5 at hunting ranges and the 30 cal smack is a lot better on elk than the 6.5. The results of a 180 trophy bonded tip from a 308 on a mature bull was exceptional. Another beauty of the 308 is there are no lack of options in quality hunting ammo to meet every need. *end sales pitch*

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.