6.5 Creedmoor build 2K budget

Ok I hear this all the time mainly pig hunting on how tough things are.
The creed has plenty for elk. If as stated above it's kept in a decent range and choose the right Bullets. I know of lots of elk killed with .243. Anything you can shoot the best is the best caliber. A well placed 6.5 is much better than a bad 300 win. You just need to be very mindful of distance. I wouldn't recommend launch long range at an elk with it that's for sure.
But if said friend can not make first round hits on targets out past 500 than it doesn't matter what he uses. I'd figure out what he's capable of shooting and back that back for hunting. I shoot a lot of steel and feel comfortable doing that at long range so I know I can hit game that far. But I always wanna know for sure I can make the best shot. For instance I am fine shooting my creed way out on steel. But when I went audad hunting last week I limited myself to 400 yards as I knew I could pull that of in less than ideal situations. Even when I found the thing I closed the gap from 340 to 126 just because I could and it increases my chances of getting it down quick.
Not trying it get anyone riled up but I love my 300 win but I have friend that simply can't shoot it as effectively as they can a 6.5 so I always steer them to what they can shoot best.

I don't own one.....YET. But sure do like the Browning Hells Canyon. And they come in 6.5creed (if thats what he really wants. I wouldn't for elk) and they come in elk calibers too. But then, I have 3 Tikkas in my safe, all are sub moa rifles.

Not a 6.5 creed fan for anything over deer but if you must I would try to bump the budget up to 2500 and go with a fierce fury and a vortex HST not my first choice for an optic but good in that price range.

300 Win mag is the definition of Elk rifle.
Or should be anyways..
Rem 700 Sendero. $1,200 Timney trigger. $100 leaves you $700 to find a deal on a good scope. Completely do-able.
Vortex, Leupold, what ever fits your eye.
Good gun. Good Stock. Good trigger. Good glass. $2,000 bucks give or take.

Budget builds are always fun. I looked at the savage lightweight storm which is right around 5.6lbs and it seems like a great mountain rifle. I would install a sightron stac 4-20x50 moa scope on it. Total package would be under 1200 easily. I can get that scope for 280 and the rifle for 650 so I figure under 1k if you work at it.

I am not a savage fanatic but I have built many rifles off the action and have never had a bad one. I run rifle basix sav2 triggers or the accutrigger depending on the set up. You can do a lot with a savage if you do most of the work yourself and save some coin.

This is my latest build. Trued the action, bedded the stock, painted it etc. I was lucky and won the stock. Currently I am running 140ELDs out of the 20" proof barrel at 2768 fps with Peterson brass.

Attachments

• IMG_6703.jpg
    IMG_6703.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 141
Ok, well I guess you've got the sentiment that the CM is not the preferred caliber for most for elk, it can be done but its not optimum, lets get back to the build question which is the topic of the thread..(i'd go 7mm mag or 30-06 or 300 WM) Get a REM 700 LA std or Mag action (325-350)off this site n get it trued (150-175) get a smith to chamber a SAAMI spec caliber mentioned above 175-200) using a basic upgraded barrel (Douglas, Wison, Benchmark, X-Caliber(200-300) Buy a Bell and Carson Sporter stock with bedding block (250-300) or if your up for doing your own bedding job McMillan or Manners stock in your preferred style and budget (450-800) GET A DESCENT TRIGGER! Timney 510 as a minimum or a TriggerTech Basic (spend a bit more n get a Jewell, Diamond or Calvin Elite) 150-300 Bottom metal can be a Rem 700 take off at 100-125 but a slight upgrade here would be nice 200-250....You do the math..were in your price range! Buy some descent glass! I am not including scope or bases in the 2000$ price range..but its doable in the 2500$ range..Buy a used Leupold VX3 or better at 450-500...BUY A CASE yes a case of your desired ammo off Midway..take 1 to 2 boxes of ammo and gently break in that barrel! Practice Practice ... make many friends! You'll kill any elk inside of 500 yards, call your friends to help pack it out!

Budget builds are always fun. I looked at the savage lightweight storm which is right around 5.6lbs and it seems like a great mountain rifle. I would install a sightron stac 4-20x50 moa scope on it. Total package would be under 1200 easily. I can get that scope for 280 and the rifle for 650 so I figure under 1k if you work at it.

I really like that rifle! Great job!

Sadly, I can't believe $2K is considered a "budget" build. :(

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for an elk hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.
I agree with others on a larger caliber for elk, place your shot well if set on 6.5 creed
Browning AB3 with Leupold vx3i 3.5X14 CDS should keep you in budget 140 gr or heavier bullet hope you hand load

Looking to build a 6.5 Creedmoor for an elk hunt this fall. Have a 2k budget for the package (including optics) what would you guys recommend? I have built full custom rifles in the past, but not really done a lot of making long range rifles based off of factory builds. Something factory that would fit the bill with some gunsmithing...or recommend something else? Could maybe push the budget another $500 if need be.
What is your goal? Want to put elk in the freezer or just shoot something at long range? 6.5 CM is a little weak for something that size at "long range." There are quite a few calibers more appropriate for that task than a 6.5 CM. Myself, I'd rather "hunt" to within 400 yards and use 30.06. Go to YouTube and listen to custom rifle maker Randy Selby explain why 6.5CM is a bad choice for long range elk!

Last edited:
Buy a savage 110 and put good glass on top

Tell him to be a hunter and not a shooter. My first and second we're shot less than 150 yards. My sixth was at 385 and the only reason was couldn't get closer. 28 Nosler is the rifle I use. All the 30 cal and 7 mm are good elk rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.