6.5 credmoor or 6XC for long range

midnightmalloy

I want to rebarrel my LH TIKKA M595 to either a 6XC or a 6.5 Creedmoor. This would mainly be for my dad since I will mainly be using my 280AI SAKO. He has some recoil issues due to a bad sholder. It would be for deer and smaller out to probably 500-600yds. Anyone using these or have other suggestions? I was thinking of these two since they can seat the long vlds and still use the magazine. Harder to do with a 243 or 260. Its a short action by the way.

I have both, but have not shot any deer with either yet. I have a steel plate target that I shoot at long range and I do not believe I would shoot deer with the 6xc past 400 yards. It is a good caliber, but almost no target report after 400 yards. The 6.5 with 140 gr bullets has good target report out to near 600 yards. The 6xc has less recoil though.

This is no help on making your decision, but heres a vid of the 6.5 Creedmoore getting stretched out a bit you might find interesting. Conditions were perfect and Wayne had been hitting everything at the range at similar distances from the same prone position. Probably the outer limit for this round on elk (129gr SST).

For those that follow Waynes writing, you know that he is far from a long range hunting enthusiast. His preference leans more towards a lever gun at 100 yards.

That said, he is open minded and has shared a few other camps with us using our equipment. Also a heck of a nice guy and can really shoot with that darn sling.

This hunt he was getting some real world info on Hornadys ammo and the caliber. The rifle is actually a Magnum Research wearing our scope and stock. It was a tack driver with the factory ammo.

Clicking on the title will take to youtube where it can be viewed larger.

YouTube - Greybull Precision with Wayne van Zwoll Elk & Coyote

Last edited:
Might want to look around for the Tikka in 6.5x55. Several for sale on the forums.

If you want to rebarrel. I would look at the creedmoor, simply from the fact of factory ammo.

I have the 6.5x47 and most of the 6.5s like 6.5x47 and creedmoor are doing very well with the 130 and 123 grain bullets and 8.5 to 9 twists versus the longer throats and 8 twists for the 140 class bullets.

BH

Might I suggest a slightly different look at the question? I have used the 6.5 creedmoore and 6xc in competition rifles and would give the nod to the Creedmoore because of current bullet selections. I have a Tikka T3 rebarreled in the Creedmore as well. Using the VLD I can not seat the bullets to best accuracy and fit them into the Tikka magazine as well( I should mention that with deeper seating to fit the magazine I only give up about a third MOA of accuracy in a half minute rifle to fit into the magazine). I have used it to shoot several elk and some deer and antelope, single loading. To solve the magazine problem I built a remington clone actioned rifle that uses the fine accuracy international magazines. I chambered it in 243 Win and a 7 twist barrel. I throated the barrel to "factory " dimensions rather than for the 115 g Berger VLD hunting bullet I am using. The excess case capacity in the 243 case allows me to use all the powder I want or need, while still seating the long bullets deeper into the case, relating to the lands as needed and fitting easily into the magazines. I have another barrel on order to be chambered in the 6.5 Creedmore to be handled in a similar fashion. I am throating for a hunting type 120 g bullet and plan to use the 130g VLD. These rounds will also fit the same magazines. I also have a savage short action that I have chambered in a 7 twist 243 AI, that I load with those same 115 g Bergers. These cartridges fit into the savage magazine with out any length issues. Anyway, a couple of solutions to the challenge. Recoil of course is less with the 6mm cartridges than with the 6.5. I see in the video above the experience I have had with the 6.5, very effective on elk if used with adequate preparation and skill. I have also killed several antelope and Coues deer to over 900 yds with the 6mm calibers. Anyway, one mans thoughts on the question

Last edited:
wow the video is awesome. i like the 6.5 creedmoor and the 6.5x47 lapua. i think the only thing would be how each of these cases would feed and perform from the magazine of my tikka. i think the overall length of the magazine is 2.95" so both should work. i really just dont know which to choose. i want to shoot 130 gr berger hunting vlds so either will do it to similar velocities and are both pleanty accurate cartriges. the brass of the creedmoor is less but that would only save me a little overall. i already have primers for the creedmoor but not the lapua. honestly how much does this decision really matter for hunting? looks like both are able to send a 130 gr berger to 3000 so please inform me of anything im missing here. deer size and smaller to 600? i think both would be excellent.

one mans opinion is you are not missing anything. I think a guy should get the one that seems the most interesting. both of these are. then you get the other one or the latest one in the rebarrel. I would suggest you dont want to drive the 130 g VLD at over 3000 with either of these cartridges and you dont need to. They are both very effective at more moderate velocity and with the high bc of this bullet you will only loose maybe 60% or so of the muzzle velocity at 600 yds. I found both cartridges had accuracy nodes closer to 2900fps than to 3000. Lots of pressure signs beyond 2940 or so. have fun

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.