6.5 Weatherby RPM or 6.5 X300 Weatherby mag for Long Range Target.

Hi all, I am considering a Rifle just for LR Steel Shooting and Long Rang PRS target . At this time I do not even know how they score the shots in the Long Range Shooting Competition. I hope to learn. Two rounds that seem they would be right at home in the 1000 -1200 yard game are the two 6.5 Rounds from Weatherby. One , the 6.5RPM, is a non belted 30-06 length round , with a non radiused shoulder and the other a 300 Weatherby Mag necked down to 6.5mm. I currently shoot and hunt my 270 Weatherby Mag a lot ,and also have a 300 Weatherby Mag, which I almost never shoot anymore. Do any of you shoot one or both of these 6.5 rounds? Does any one think that with heavy High BC bullets in an 26 inch 8 twist barrel , they could be successful LR Target guns? Is having Weatherby barrel my action with a 26 inch #3 (accumark ) barrel, chambered in 6.5X300 Weatherby is a good idea? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Boys, lenny
Yes! Dies are special made and I think Redding and whidden make occasionally. Took me a long time to get mine.
It will send the heaviest 6.5 pills at blistering speeds. 3200,3300,3400.
Problem with it is recoil. It's a lot of powder.
Better off running a 6.5PRC but if you like wildcats, 6.5-300WSM (necked down 270/300WSM brass and must be neck turned. Same with the long mag cartridges, neck must be turned. Peterson will make spec brass for a price though 5.5 a case plus 75$ for a custom headstamp.

It is easier and less costly to go the 6.5PRC route vs the wildcat route. Just depends on what you are after

All Great info Guys, I thank you all. My Weatherby Mark V , in 270 Weatherby Mag, with 150 Grn Nosler ABLR at 3000 fps, at 2880 feet in altitude , performed so well ay my first time at LR shooting school. Hitting all targets , even at odd numbers in the 740, 860, 1000 and 1200 yard ranges. That was due to the coaching and the instructor calling the wind , of course. One time I had a miss, but he said the wind stopped between his wind call and me taking the shot. LR steel was more fun than when I shoot Bench Rest, which is super serious. I am ready to do a ladder test with my 270 Weatherby Mag using 66.7; 67.0 and 67.3 and 67.6 Grns. of H 4831SC with the 150 Grn. ABLR. Go back to the Virginia shooting school again this November. All this shooting and prep is for the November 14th Whitetail Hunt in the beanfields, in North Carolina. A 500 yard shot is possible across the fields. I am hoping for that broadside single shot a mature buck. Thanks again Boys

Attachments

• IMG_2629.jpg
    IMG_2629.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
  • IMG_2627.jpg
    IMG_2627.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 163
Nice rig Lenny, I picked up one last year new.
I knew it was a barrel burner but so what, I can put new barrels on it. I have all the stuff to reload the 6.5 x 300. I picked it up for a speed goat hunt, I got it cheep, it was new never shoot! Waiting on good weather to break barrel in and scope(Vortex Viper on it).

Good Luck with that rifle Doctor!!! There are lots of videos on U Tube for that rifle caliber combo. Guys seem to just love it. Your right, in two or three years , send it back to Weatherby and get a new barrel. Send Pics of the antelope. My Friends son just bought a 26 Nosler, and saw a box of ammo in a NY Sate Gunshop for $160.00. Can you say HANDLOADS????

Was think about building a 6.5 gun. Was also thinking about a 26 nosler, 6.5x300 or 6.5 prc. No one talks about the 26 nosler is there a problem with them.
Brass availability. It's about as hard to find as 6.5 PRC and the cartridge is not very efficient. It isn't the fasted 6.5 and is overkill for most hunting applications. If you want more energy than the other 6.5's, increasing bore is generally the better approach. Sweet spots on the Nosler family seems to be the 28 and 33. 30 is generally tipped towards RUM, PRC, and WM. 26 is tipped towards PRC, -284 Norma, -300WBY.

Hi all, I am considering a Rifle just for LR Steel Shooting and Long Rang PRS target . At this time I do not even know how they score the shots in the Long Range Shooting Competition. I hope to learn. Two rounds that seem they would be right at home in the 1000 -1200 yard game are the two 6.5 Rounds from Weatherby. One , the 6.5RPM, is a non belted 30-06 length round , with a non radiused shoulder and the other a 300 Weatherby Mag necked down to 6.5mm. I currently shoot and hunt my 270 Weatherby Mag a lot ,and also have a 300 Weatherby Mag, which I almost never shoot anymore. Do any of you shoot one or both of these 6.5 rounds? Does any one think that with heavy High BC bullets in an 26 inch 8 twist barrel , they could be successful LR Target guns? Is having Weatherby barrel my action with a 26 inch #3 (accumark ) barrel, chambered in 6.5X300 Weatherby is a good idea? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Boys, lenny
For shooting steel targets you really should consider different calibers.Those 2 will shoit out your barrel pretty quick.
I shoot a 300PRC, 6.5 PRC, 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6mm ARC...&6MM CREEDMOOR .
Since components are scarce and expensive I shoot the 6mmARC a whole lot more.
Any of these mentioned will hit 1200 yards no problem.
If you don't reload picking one that has factory ammois a big plus .
Good luck in your choices Lenny

ONE MORE THING...
I feel there is no other mountain rifle comparable to the WEATHERBY Backcountry 2.0.
The individual components like a carbon fiber stock and CF tensioned barrel are amazing. Then add a Trigger Tech trigger and titanium action and you have a VERY expensive custom rifle at a very decent price.

Lenny,

I for one would like to hear the results of your training school shot and your hunt of course. A followup would interesting considering all the comments made in reference to your questions.

Secondly, I'm unsure of where you live but there is a steel shooting competition for long range I used to shoot a while ago. It's all about the terrain and the conditions. Some shot the .308 Win. while a few others (me) shot wildcats of varying capabilities. We usually took a team but even if you go just by yourself, it's a great time! It's hilly, rocky and the weather can be very contrary from sunshine to rain and fog. It is a hoot to shoot!😁

Allegheny Sniper Challenge

https://www.ascmatch.net/

This one is one of my favorites:

89f23f_3f1d31c0088e4118b066c4fde962e42c.jpg

89f23f_05ddbb47836a4294bc14c96f8bad50b9.jpg

Enjoy!

:)