6.5 Weatherby RPM or 6.5 X300 Weatherby mag for Long Range Target.

Lenny Foffa

Hi all, I am considering a Rifle just for LR Steel Shooting and Long Rang PRS target . At this time I do not even know how they score the shots in the Long Range Shooting Competition. I hope to learn. Two rounds that seem they would be right at home in the 1000 -1200 yard game are the two 6.5 Rounds from Weatherby. One , the 6.5RPM, is a non belted 30-06 length round , with a non radiused shoulder and the other a 300 Weatherby Mag necked down to 6.5mm. I currently shoot and hunt my 270 Weatherby Mag a lot ,and also have a 300 Weatherby Mag, which I almost never shoot anymore. Do any of you shoot one or both of these 6.5 rounds? Does any one think that with heavy High BC bullets in an 26 inch 8 twist barrel , they could be successful LR Target guns? Is having Weatherby barrel my action with a 26 inch #3 (accumark ) barrel, chambered in 6.5X300 Weatherby is a good idea? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Boys, lenny

You are looking at 2 "barrel burners" for volume target shooting in case you didn't already know. I've heard of 6.5-300wbys having an 1/8" throat erosion after 250 rounds and a barrel life of less than 800 rounds even if you baby them. If you have to/want to go 6.5mm I'd look into the 6.5saum or 6.5SST. Just my opinion

I have neither, but I do have two 6.5x284's which are the shorter version of the 6.5 RPM. I think for shooting targets the 26" 1-8 twist would be great and you could go a little longer and even a 1-7 twist. My Weatherby knowledge is very limited so can't help much there. If I had to choose between the two cartridges you mentioned, I'd go with a 6.5 RPM, but given any 6.5 choice, a 6.5x284 or 6.5 PRC would go ahead of them and dare I say the other 6.5 cartridge that is very popular.

Thats great advice boys, Thank you all. I thought a conversion of my 300 Weatherby Mag to a good a long range target cartridge would be a simple conversion to a target round. I built a 270 win on a heavy 30 inch Hart barre; with an 8 twist and a long throat could be fun at 1000 yards, using the 170 Grn Berger. I think I will play with that for a while, and leave the 300 Weatherby as it is for now. Again, I appreciate everyone's advise.

I shoot a 6.5 RPM chamber Mk V Backcountry. The .300 WM Kimber Montana sees little use these days. I've found the rifle-cartridge combination to be a delight. As to the 6.5 RPM it's very easy to coax half MOA accuracy from with most 140-143 grain spitzers. Use a standard rifle primer, and you should hit a sweet spot some where between 65 and 66 grains (max) of reloader 25. That should put you in the 3050-3100 FPS range. Mine favors 143 gr ELD-X and 140 gr SGK bullets. Enjoy the process. It's not just about the final destination.

I have a 6.5x300 Weatherby and it would not even be in my consideration for a long range target gun. It burns around 90+ grains of very hard to obtain powder and has a stout kick for high volume target shooting. 6 mm Dasher is very popular and uses 1/3 the powder approximately and is super accurate at the long range game. Lots of other good choices out there also.

Hi all, I am considering a Rifle just for LR Steel Shooting and Long Rang PRS target . At this time I do not even know how they score the shots in the Long Range Shooting Competition. I hope to learn. Two rounds that seem they would be right at home in the 1000 -1200 yard game are the two 6.5 Rounds from Weatherby. One , the 6.5RPM, is a non belted 30-06 length round , with a non radiused shoulder and the other a 300 Weatherby Mag necked down to 6.5mm. I currently shoot and hunt my 270 Weatherby Mag a lot ,and also have a 300 Weatherby Mag, which I almost never shoot anymore. Do any of you shoot one or both of these 6.5 rounds? Does any one think that with heavy High BC bullets in an 26 inch 8 twist barrel , they could be successful LR Target guns? Is having Weatherby barrel my action with a 26 inch #3 (accumark ) barrel, chambered in 6.5X300 Weatherby is a good idea? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks Boys, lenny
If it's just for steel at distance I don't see the merit of such overbore 6.5s…that's just me tho! You do whatever you want with your money and don't let anyone tell you you can't! For what it's worth I'd go with the 6.5x300. Neither of those rounds are "practical" target rounds, so if practicality be dammed might as well get your moneys worth and really step on the gas as hard as you can. Plus I like the whole belted and curvy shoulder thing…it's cool. No idea if it actually improves anything but it what weatherby means to me haha

You are looking at 2 "barrel burners" for volume target shooting in case you didn't already know. I've heard of 6.5-300wbys having an 1/8" throat erosion after 250 rounds and a barrel life of less than 800 rounds even if you baby them. If you have to/want to go 6.5mm I'd look into the 6.5saum or 6.5SST. Just my opinion
I think that varies a lot.
I've got 400rds down line and barrel looks fine still

I shoot a 6.5 RPM chamber Mk V Backcountry. The .300 WM Kimber Montana sees little use these days. I've found the rifle-cartridge combination to be a delight. As to the 6.5 RPM it's very easy to coax half MOA accuracy from with most 140-143 grain spitzers. Use a standard rifle primer, and you should hit a sweet spot some where between 65 and 66 grains (max) of reloader 25. That should put you in the 3050-3100 FPS range. Mine favors 143 gr ELD-X and 140 gr SGK bullets. Enjoy the process. It's not just about the final destination.

My 6.5 prc uses RL25. I'm pushing 140 bergers at 3120 after break in. Rig sped up alot I was surprised. Hunting rig not a target gun.

At 80 to 100 rounds per match I don't think those two would be at the top of my list. I would look at something that would push a 153.5-140 at 3050 at max and depending how big and how many 1200 yd targets I may look at some of the 6 mm cartridges.

I see the. Point. , and I thank you guys ! I had no idea the amount of rounds that would be fired in a match! Your right. Over bore and Burn lots of powder! Since it was never going to be a Hunting rifle ,energy at 500 and beyond was irrelevant!! Thank you for your insight !!!