6.5x284 win or Norma for long range

7mmultrafan

I know this topic has been discussed. But I wanted you guys input on which of these two you would pic and why. I'm having one built and needing to decide which one to go with. I'm wanting to go with the 140gr Berger vlds for hunting. Any info to help me decide would be appreciated

Thank you

It depends on how long you want to seat the bullets. If you want a 140VLD in a short action, you will be limited on how far out you can seat them if you want to use the rifle as a repeater. The more aggressive the bullet for a given COAL, the shorter you want your throat. I think guys get confused on this. They think VLD throats need to be longer. The fact is, seating your bullets further out for more case capacity requires more throat length. But for given bullets, if you want to touch the lands, the more aggressive the bullet, such as the VLD, the shorter the throat needs to be for them to touch at a given COAL compared to a bullet that is not as aggressive. Such as the difference between the AMAX and the VLD. If you throat the rifle for the VLD to touch the lands at a given COAL, the AMAX will have to have a shorter COAL. In other the AMAX will hit the lands sooner at the same COAL as the VLD.

If you have a long action, go norma. If you have a short action, go win.

I am having one put together right now as well. I am using a short action with an extended box. My reamer does not have a throat and will be throated seperatly based on my dummy round to fit my COAL of 2.985" I am not loosing that much case capacity. I can still load over 55 grains without any crunch.

If there are accuracy issues with the bullet being too far into the case, I will have the throat lengthened and will seat them further out and use it as a single shot

The Norma spec case gives you a little greater case capacity and a longer throat so between the two it's the one I'd go with.

Great caliber especially if you want to push the VLD's at maximum velocities.

It doesn't matter which one you use, imo the best option has been stated, use a no throat reamer and use a seperate throating reamer to get it where you need it. With 140 bergers the off the shelf win version will give you just under a 3" oal while the norma version will put you in the ball park of 3.150" oal and allows the use of a little over 2grns more of some powders. Excellent choice by the way, great 1k shooter, holds many records and fills freezers pretty good at that distance.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.