6.5-284 or 26 Nosler?

I don't have a 26 Nosler, but I do have others: 264 mag. ,6.5 X 284, 6.5 X 55. I have the 264 Mag. set up for Elk, throwing 160 Matrix out to 400 yard all day. The 6.5 X 284 is my 1000 yard target rifle, slinging 140 VLD's or 142 SMK"s either will put you in the X-Ring and I will give a slight edge to the SMK"s at a thousand and beyond. The 6.5 X 55 build is my most current starting out as as Mule Deer hunting rifle, but I found out it make a great Tactical Rifle out to 300 yards with 130 Norma's coming out the tube. I am now thinking about reaming the chamber and make an Ackley Improved out of it and might as well thread the barrel and add a suppressor and see it that makes it bettor or not.

I think for what you are wanting the 6.5 X 284 may be your best bet. It will do all you want and for less money and less recoil. But I don't enough about the 26 Nosler to say it's better or not, but you could share if you go that route.

I have a thought for a new Bench Rest Rifle in 6.5 Grendel. I might stuff a 30" pipe onto an action and find out what happen at 300 yards.

Ace

Just bought some. Be here in 2 weeks so I'll post results
03A3A487-26B0-4CA6-A505-DC3DB16FB75F.jpeg

A standard .260 Remington will do everything all of the above will do without any of the pain involved...do you really think a lung or heart will know the difference of 150fps hole drilled in them...not. Too much drama with so many of these new cartridges..expense, finding casings and case life to gain 150fps...just not worth the aggravation and no animals vital area will know the difference..

I've been a .264 fan since 1998 with the new 260 Rem (even though factory loads then were trash).
I'd go with the 6.5-284 or 6.5 PRC. From what I'm seeing the 6.5 PRC ammo shoots amazing which means unless you just want to... you don't have to reload.
I traded for a 26 Nosler and I might have to reload for it since ammo is so expensive.
If you don't reload, I'd stick with 260, 6.5 CM, 6.5 PRC.... if you love to reload then I suggest the 6.5-284 or 264 WM.
Good luck as you can't honestly go wrong

There is more like a 300fps difference from a 260 to a 26N. The bullet always does need to go in the right place, but there is no doubt that 300fps leaves a larger wound channel.

A standard .260 Remington will do everything all of the above will do without any of the pain involved...do you really think a lung or heart will know the difference of 150fps hole drilled in them...not. Too much drama with so many of these new cartridges..expense, finding casings and case life to gain 150fps...just not worth the aggravation and no animals vital area will know the difference..

There is more like a 300fps difference from a 260 to a 26N. The bullet always does need to go in the right place, but there is no doubt that 300fps leaves a larger wound channel.
Id say 300 fps from 260 to a 6.5x284 then a 400 fps jump up to a 26 nosler
With that added speed the 26 nosler is in a different league

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.