26 Nosler or 264 Win Mag?

MTsmith

I'm looking for input on this one.
I am in the process of purchasing a new cooper model 52 long range and have the option of the 264 win mag or 26 nosler. It appears that there's only a mild difference between the two.
I am leaning toward the 264 win mag because I already have one and thus have the reloading dies and brass. It is an older and classy caliber as well.
Yet there is some attractiveness for the 26 nosler since it will gain me another 200 fps and is a "new" caliber to me.
There seems to be negligible difference beyond that. My intended purpose of this rifle is for deer and elk hunting out to 600 yards.
Any other inputs or thoughts?
Thanks for the help.

My vote is .264 Win Mag. Already have dies, brass and experience loading for the cartridge. There isn't anything within 600yds a 26 Nosler can do that a .264 Win mag cant also do. Also, I'm not a fan of "Boutique brass"....

.264 WinMag with a 1:8 twist 26" barrel (if you get to choose)...And shoot the new Berger 155 Elites when they get released. Better barrel life, awesome LR capabilities with that new bullet. With the big 6.5's, it will be a game changer.

Now we just keep waiting on a Berger 140 Elite .257 bullet........But I'm starting to wonder if that'll ever happen...

The 264win mag with the new powders like the enduron and new Rl powders as well as magpro and the ball if you like to fiddle with the load. All promise to make the 264 very relevant. The 26 on the other hand @sammi coal isn't really all that and a bag of chips. Find a smith that has a good long bullet reamer and I think the new 8133 from IMR will make that stable and fast with 147-160's. The Matrix comes to mind in a bonded bullet*

I am a big proponent of new cartridges except when they are proprietary (and sole source brass, at least for now). "IF" you can live with the difference in gain, I too would go with the .264 Mag. Cheers!

I have both.....been shooting and guiding with a 264 WM for over 30 years and grew up with my Dad shooting one since the early 1960s and I can tell you, it's an Awesome Cartridge! I've killed too many deer, hogs, and coyotes to remember at 5-600+ yards with Nosler Partitions, Nosler BT, Barnes X, Barnes TSX, Barnes TTSX, and Berger VLDs. The 264 WM just "gets it done"! However, I had my 26 Nosler built a couple of years ago and have been Extremely Pleased with it so far! I've worked up accurate loads for it and it does add a couple hundred plus fps.....it hits like "The Hammer of Thor" as I've heard said here on this site! I'm a "speed freak".....the reason I built the Nosler when I already have two 264 WMs....and since you already have a 264, why not go with the Nosler and shoot the heavier bullets(155s) Mudrunner was referring to(when they come out). When you're talking about the cost of a new rifle, a few more dollars for dies, etc. shouldn't be a big deal....just my $.02!

If you're looking for a hotrod 6.5/264, you might as well go with the 26 Nosler.

I've wanted a 264wm since I was young...late 1960's and just built one in time for deer season...I've been thrilled with it.

I've only shot it out to 600yds but have no doubt it has plenty of muscle to extend that range.

It doesn't have a brake and I doubt it will ever get one.

For sure get a 1:8 twist!

I bought Nosler brass even though it is higher.....2 seasons with my 26 Nosler and I'm at around 150 round count and that includes load development. It's not a rifle I plan on doing a lot of shooting with(just hunting), so load cost isn't a big issue for me! Just sayin!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.