264 win or 6.5 284

If you are worried about the Encore frame stretching, then go with the 6.5 Sherman! You will have very, very little "bolt thrust" ( I know there is no bolt in an Encore! :)) You won't need a brake, and you will gain a new experience!

getting ready to do a re chamber which would be best , pretty much a whitetail and antelope hunter ....
Of the two I'd take the .264wm all day long, it's such a classic cartridge and quite capable of taking all North American game though probably not the best choice for big bears.

There are others though that are certainly worthy of consideration such as the 6.5PRC and 6.5LRM.

If you are starting with a long action any of the above are fine choices. With a short action my preference is for the .260 Remington.

Great round, but crappy Hornady brass will end up killing this cartridge like it has about done with the 7LRM. I and many others are experiencing this problem
I've noticed a lot more 6.5x284 threads recently. I think this is due to the lapua brass and accuracy of the cartridge. I have a friend that has about 7 elk so far with his.

I've noticed a lot more 6.5x284 threads recently. I think this is due to the lapua brass and accuracy of the cartridge. I have a friend that has about 7 elk so far with his.
About nine years ago a poll was conducted on this site asking what would be the next cartridge acquired. The 6.5x284 topped the survey. I suspect the 6.5x284 may be more prolific as a LR cartridge then most of us realize...and well earned, if so.
https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/your-next-rifle-will-be-in-which-cartridge.38192/

Last edited:
I love Lapua brass! However, when I was playing with my one and only 6.5/284, I got the best speeds and long case life with reformed .284 Winchester brass. This was in the late 90s, before the round was SAAMI. Later, I tried to work up to the same load with Norma, Hornady and Lapua brass and I couldn't. It could have just been my rifle or methods, I don't know. Winchester brass has almost always been good brass for me. I start out with new brass though when I use it.

I don't worry about barrel life in a hunting rifle. 100 rounds a year, 7-8 years, I'm satisfied. But I have not heard how many shots people are getting out of the 6.5-300.

I don't worry about barrel life in a hunting rifle. 100 rounds a year, 7-8 years, I'm satisfied. But I have not heard how many shots people are getting out of the 6.5-300.
About the same as the .26 Nosler (nearly identical capacity)... So, not good.

It's due to the fact the 6.5's overall have been regaining a great deal of popularity over the last decade or so and the 6.5-284 being an absolutely wonderful cartridge that has been tearing up competition shooting for several decades.

6.5-300 weatherby would be a great l.r. Option
Well past the rule/point of diminishing returns.
The .264, 6.5PRC, 6.5LRM/6.5-375R are about as far as you can go with case size and have anything resembling a practical 6.5 cartridge. Beyond that and barrel life is so short you'll never really get a chance to shoot enough to enjoy it unless you have a bottomless wallet and don't mind the wait time between replacements.

With a hotrod like that or the 26 Nosler you might as well buy or build two identical rifles because if you do much shooting you'll end up after a year or so constantly having one in for a replacement barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.