6.5-284 or 26 Nosler?

Mnovak73

Hey guys I'm looking for some input on my next rifle. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor as my go to deer rifle. I love the 6.5 round and want to stay with it, but I'd like to be able to carry more energy out past 500 yards. I know the 6.5-284 and 26 Nosler are both capable. Which would be better and why? Thanks in advance for your input.

If you are ok with the extra cost associated with the Nosler (shorter barrel life, more powder, expensive brass) then definitely go that route, it's a solid 300 fps faster than the 6.5-284.

Don't overlook the old 264 Win Mag, it's kind of a stop gap between those 2. Faster than the 284, more practical than the Nosler.

I have a 28N and I know you wanted to stay with the 6.5 family, if I would have thought about it, when I built my 28N, I would have purchased an extra Barrel and had the Smith create a chamber in the 30N or 33N or hell all three. I guess my point, if a person wanted, you could build all four calibers with the one action. You could swap out barrels when you wanted to change calibers, you could have four Rifles in one. Just purchase a barrel vice and wrench to swap it out. Something to think about.

I have a 28N and I know you wanted to stay with the 6.5 family, if I would have thought about it, when I built my 28N, I would have purchased an extra Barrel and had the Smith create a chamber in the 30N or 33N or hell all three. I guess my point, if a person wanted, you could build all four calibers with the one action. You could swap out barrels when you wanted to change calibers, you could have four Rifles in one. Just purchase a barrel vice and wrench to swap it out. Something to think about.
That's definitely something to consider, I appreciate the feedback. How do you like the 28 Nosler?

Hey guys I'm looking for some input on my next rifle. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor as my go to deer rifle. I love the 6.5 round and want to stay with it, but I'd like to be able to carry more energy out past 500 yards. I know the 6.5-284 and 26 Nosler are both capable. Which would be better and why? Thanks in advance for your input.
Barrel life on the 26 Nosler is going to suck....Like 500-600 rounds bad.

Give a look into the 6.5 Sherman or 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag). Both pushing the new Berger 155's would be great for long range.

Also, like Tony said, the good old .264 WinMag is hard to beat for a LR 6.5mm.

That's definitely something to consider, I appreciate the feedback. How do you like the 28 Nosler?

I love the 28N, I am very pleased with it, when my barrel is toast, I plan to go back with another 28. I am also wanting a 6.5 member, 30 and 33, so I will more than likely take my advice and stay in the Nosler family.. I know people complain about barrel life, but out of the whole build, the barrel is the cheapest of the build. Something else to consider, the 26 and 28 are the same, one could if so inclined used the same brass for both calibers. Just something else to think about.

6.5-284 Norma would be my choice. Not quiet the flame thrower that the 26 Nos is. Barrel life (26Nos), as previously mentioned would be frustrating.
I shoot the 6.5-284 and brass for it ($120 for 100ct) is roughly half the cost of the 26Nos ($58 for 25ct). I thought Lapua brass was pricey but once I started using it, I knew it was money well spent. It's the best brass available, IMO, with Norma running a tight 2nd.
I don't own or shoot a 26Nos but do have a 270 Allen Magnum (.270 RUM Improved) and while "top-fuel dragster" performance is exhilarating, I don't shoot it as much as I do my other rifles. I wish the barrel would last forever but I know I'll have to "pay the fiddler" way sooner if I shoot it like I want to!
In addition to the .264WinMag, consider the new 6.5PRC. I think Hornady already has it on the streets and is touting it as a short action magnum pushing 140gn @ 3000fps. Another case of trying to build a better mouse trap, cause a 6.5-284 will already do that, and then some!
I believe more velocity can be generated using RL26 but haven't had a chance to try it in it yet. Maybe this weekend with the 147gn ELD-M. :)
Good luck in your decision and keep us in the loop. johnnyk.

I have both, 6.5-284 and a 26. The 26 will push a 127LRX to 3500fps from a 26" barrel which is pretty impressive, and it will do 3300 with a 140 without pushing the brass hard.
The 26 is impressive, but is a finicky case to load for. The 6.5-284 is much easier to tune, and still will crack 3K with a 140gr bullet. I also didnt get great accuracy pushing a berger 140 over 3200ish fps, I could get decent groups with low charges but once the speeds went up the accuracy with the vld wasnt there.

If I was going to do it again I wouldn't go with a 6.5 in a case bigger than a wsm, I would likely go to the gap4s or 6.5wsm as the velocities will be very close to what the 26 can do.

I also didnt get great accuracy pushing a berger 140 over 3200ish fps
In my experience no berger hybrid has good accuracy over 3200-3250. I don't think the materials they use can handle the velocity. My guess is around 3250 the tip or part of the rifling grooves cut into the bullet get warm enough to warp (as in, almost melting but not quite) and the bullet is no longer symmetrical so it loses accuracy.
I have found that any berger bullets I use have a really good accuracy node right around 3100-3200 (just before the loss of accuracy) The 264 Win mag might be able to get you into that node, that's what I'd look into, I love the Nosler rounds but 26 is just a little bit too overbore for me to recommend to anyone. I might get one for fun sometime, but it wouldn't be on an expensive proof barrel or anything. On a custom barrel a lucky person will get 900 rounds. 650-700 would be considered average bore life.
To me, the purpose of the 26 Nosler is to get you an extra 650-700 rounds of a shot out throat on a 6.5-284. Set back a thread and ream to 26 Nosler and you'be got a fresh throat!

Don't overlook the old 264 Win Mag, it's kind of a stop gap between those 2. Faster than the 284, more practical than the Nosler.
/\/\/\/\
This

I have a decent collection of 6.5's. Currently waiting on parts for a 6.5 Creedmoor, already have 6.5x55, 6.5-06, 6.5-284 and the 264wm...the 264wm is without a doubt my go to long range 6.5. But I'm super happy with the 6.5-284.

So far, I have no intentions to ever buy a 26 Nosler...

6.5 Sherman...for sure still thinkin about one. That one is definitely still a possibility!

I vote for 6.5x284.

I am shooting a Proof Research 28" Carbon barrel, 1-8 twist in a long action.

The rifle really balances nice with that carbon barrel...my favorite rifle.

140s shooting well @ 3200fps

150s shooting well @ 3100fps

All pushed by RL26

Brass is really easy to find and is somewhat..."cheap"

If you are ok with the extra cost associated with the Nosler (shorter barrel life, more powder, expensive brass) then definitely go that route, it's a solid 300 fps faster than the 6.5-284.

Definitely. With some of the new powders that have came out in the last 10 or so years the 264 has been brought back to life. I get 3300 with 140 Bergers and Retumbo out of my 264.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts