6.5-284 or 26 Nosler?

A year or so ago I too was looking at the 6.5 x 284. I thought about having one built for 2500 to 4000 dollars not mention having to wait nearly six months for the final product. I started researching the Savage Long Range hunter / model 111. I found that the Savage had rave reviews. A local Sportsmans Warehouse had one for 975.00 with a 75.00 rebate. 900.00 out the door. It's a great shooter. It loves the 140 gr. Nosler partitions and the Hornady 143 ELX. I'm still experimenting with other loads but I'm getting three shot groups forming a "very" tight shamrock albeit at just 100 yards to this point. Not far enough into the hobby / sport to measure velocities just yet. The load development is straight out of the reloading manuals. I'm not sure that spending another two or three thousand dollars is going to tighten my groups up any more to justify the expense. This is a hunting rifle. The Savage action and stock in my opinion rival the more expensive ones. The muzzle break , which comes standard , is another great feature. Don't foreclose on the thought of buying a 6.5 X 284 in a Savage. Great accuracy for little expense. You won't regret it.

I would support this. While I also own custom and a Cooper 6.5x284's, I won a Savage LRH in 6.5x284 at a competitive event several years ago. I didn't know what to expect, but it turned out to be as accurate, consistent, and reliable as my other more expensive rifles. BTW, the OP should also check out the Cooper. Mine has served me well for 7 seasons.
B772FD3B-DD52-4212-8404-F8DD742406C9.jpeg 14F6B181-8686-4C34-A7D5-AF241A5B5921.jpeg

Steven S is correct. Savage is a great value for the $. I had a Savage 6.5X284 shot 1/2 MOA and was all you could hope for then I made the mistake and stuck my bore scope down the tube and was totally shocked. Looked more like a sewer pipe then a rifle bore but it still was a shooter. Go figure, Savages are usually a great bang for the $.

Chad Dixon at LRI built mine.
It's on a trued remington.
I have 4 rifles on trued remington's all built by different gunsmiths.
They're all really nice, but I have to say that this LRI is the nicest one. The fit and finish on this rifle is 100% perfect, and the action feels just as nice as my Stiller predator.
It's doesn't feel like my Defiance, but It's every bit or more accurate as any of my custom action custom rifles.
It's a bit funny to me that my two most accurate rifles, (260, and 6.5x284) are both on trued remingtons. They are the only two that I can consistently shoot in the 3's.
The others will do it sometimes, but are more consistently in the 4's and 5's.
If value is not a concern, I wouldn't hesitate to have another custom on a trued remington.
I traded a scope for it on this site, so I'm in it about 1500 bucks.
If your not in a hurry, you'll probably find one on this site. We all know that building a custom rifle is a great way to lose money. I've bought several on this site for about 1/2 of what it cost to have them built, and have had a few built that I know I couldn't sell for much more than 1/2 of what I have into them.
Building custom rifle is a bit like driving a new truck off the lot, it's fun and exciting, but deep down, you know you just lost your ***!!

Chad Dixon at LRI built mine.
It's on a trued remington.
I have 4 rifles on trued remington's all built by different gunsmiths.
They're all really nice, but I have to say that this LRI is the nicest one. The fit and finish on this rifle is 100% perfect, and the action feels just as nice as my Stiller predator.
It's doesn't feel like my Defiance, but It's every bit or more accurate as any of my custom action custom rifles.
It's a bit funny to me that my two most accurate rifles, (260, and 6.5x284) are both on trued remingtons. They are the only two that I can consistently shoot in the 3's.
The others will do it sometimes, but are more consistently in the 4's and 5's.
If value is not a concern, I wouldn't hesitate to have another custom on a trued remington.
I traded a scope for it on this site, so I'm in it about 1500 bucks.
If your not in a hurry, you'll probably find one on this site. We all know that building a custom rifle is a great way to lose money. I've bought several on this site for about 1/2 of what it cost to have them built, and have had a few built that I know I couldn't sell for much more than 1/2 of what I have into them.
Building custom rifle is a bit like driving a new truck off the lot, it's fun and exciting, but deep down, you know you just lost your ***!!
That's kind of my game plan to keep watching for a deal to pop up on one.

In my 6.5x284 I see pressure at 3000fps. It shot real good but too hot for me. I backed off to the mid 2900's with 140gr HPBT match bullets.

264wm 3150fps with 140's out of a 24" pipe..positively no signs of pressure.

No reason to stress your equipment. Your 6.5x284 won't (shouldn't any way) be a 3200 fps gun. If you need one step up one size. 264wm fit's the bill fine!

28" Proof Carbon barrel in a long action...easy extraction, no measurable bulge above case web. Cartridge fit back into chamber with no resistance with just a neck size...

Nosler brass, fireformed and neck sized with a Russian Mag primer...

Scan.jpeg

Scan 1.jpeg

Last edited:
Spend the extra money and buy Lapua brass. It's pricey but when you consider the cost of the gun, the scope ( which will cost as much as the gun in many cases) , the time cost and effort in developing your rifles preferred load , you don't want to skimp on the brass. Different theories on barrel break in. I'd probably follow the manufacturers recommendations. I'm very impressed to this point on this calibers accuracy.

I mentioned this on another post but for the money check out Alamo Precision Rifles out of Texas. They made me a 28 Nosler. Their base rifle is under $2000 and has a lot to offer. A trued Remington action, graeboe stock, choice of 4 different barrel brands with choice of twist, fluted barrel and bolt and all cerakote on steel and your choice of calibers. It is not an assembly line product, it is basically hand built. I paid in the $2300 range and that gets you your choice of a Jewell or Calvin Elite trigger and a muzzle brake.
For a semi custom I think you get a lot for the money.
It is a bit heavier than some but if you got it in a 6.5-284 or 264 Win or any 6.5 you wont need a muzzle brake.
I love mine.

If it's for a hunting rifle there is nothing wrong with a 26 nosler, shooting 20 rounds a year it would take 35 years to get to 700 rounds, the biggest problem with the 26 imo is how much nosler wants for a box of ammo for it, but if your wanting to take one to the range or what ever else the 6.5 284 would be better, the 264 is a good option too or the 28 nosler I'm having one built now. And I throw another one out there is a 6.5 300 weatherby(I'm 90% sure it's weatherby), it would be considered a barrel burner too but if it's just a hunting rifle it would be perfect, my friend has one on a savage action and I'd love to get my hands on it, it's probably the flattest shooting rifle I've shot, but your not going to go hit rocks with it every day either. I've noticed a lot of people get hung up on 700-900 round barrel life I see their point but you got to ask yourself how long is it going to take You not some one else to reach the end of the barrel life, just my two cents

Last edited:
I have enjoyed all the 6.5-284's I have built. I did one using a Criterion Barrel ith nut on a trued ( more like properly aligned) Rem 700 action. The gentlemen who bought it really enjoys it. My current one I built off a Win 700 (CRF) trued up action. I have a muzzlebrakesandmore lil beast on her. Mild recoil and I am getting 2990 using H1000 and 143g ELD-X. As soon as I figure out the allowed files I will post my Labradar results for this rifle. I appreciate all the info on this thread.

As Ron Spomer says the 6.5-284 Norma is the best all round hunting cartridge !

I have a cpl 6.5-284 rifles and a third being built on a all stainless Mark V 6 lug action, it's a pleasant cartridge to shoot, easy to load for, lots of aftermarket brass, I always said the 280AI was my fav cartridge but it's hard not to love the 6.5-284.

My first 6.5-284 arrives tomorrow night at the gun store. Then I get to wait 10 whole days for a background check. I will be so happy when I leave California next year !!

I feel for you there. I left that State a long time ago. Some of my best customers are in Cali. Surprisingly they all really like the 6.5-284. It really is a great shooting round. Best of luck to you on your new rifle. It should be too much fun.

Last edited:
Hey guys I'm looking for some input on my next rifle. I currently have a 6.5 Creedmoor as my go to deer rifle. I love the 6.5 round and want to stay with it, but I'd like to be able to carry more energy out past 500 yards. I know the 6.5-284 and 26 Nosler are both capable. Which would be better and why? Thanks in advance for your input.

the best part of the smaller volume 6.5 cartridges is the ability to practice ALOT.
The 26 nolser is awesome and fire breather would be fun to have but I do know you have to stay on top of it in cleaning department and your barrel is not gonna like you after 500 rounds or so… the 6.5-284 when loaded right will hit the 3000fps mark but that's at top end working loads, it has lapua brass so that's a super win and I like the 6.5-284 a lot but to utilize its potential it needs to be made on a long action!! there are a few great 6.5 cartridges that are worth looking at including the 264 WM, 260 rem, 6.5-284 etc.… I am a big bullet guy for ever and always (30cal 338 375 and I mostly hunt with my improved 338 and 300 gr bergers) but there is one that I consider to be the ultimate 6.5 cartridge for all worlds and that's the 6.5 saum. I will not be without one ever .. I have several reasons for this.
1. True short action capable with no true modifications to the case or fireforming
2. True 140gr 3100fps plus velocity with low pressures using true slow burning temp stable powders. not having to resort to a faster higher pressure powder to get speed up resulting in excessive premature throat wear.
3. Can shoot all bullets extremely well from 100 to 160 matrix in a short action
4. brass is now going to be offered from several top end makers.
5. barrel life well over 2000 even with heavy rates of fire
6. recoil is minimal my son loves my 6.5 saum
7. cleaning is ..well if your bored and need something to do then,......clean I guess.
8. brass life with the top tier makers is boringly long, 20 plus on stuff I'm running and not a loss of primer pockets.

That's what is so awesome about the custom rifle world there are so many options and a guy just cant have one ha ha. either way you go you'll have a great time shooting it and all of the above that others have mentioned also will be in your wheel house. get what you want and have fun with it!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.