6.5-284 or 26 Nosler?

Another vote for the 6.5x284. IMO, it is the sweet spot for a hunting rifle in 6.5, capable taking game from 50 yards to beyond 1000 yards....with bench rest grade accuracy, excellent case design/brass, easy to reload, and manageable recoil. IMO, the perfect compliment to the 6.5 CM(or 6.5x47, 6.5CM, 260).

I'm in the 6.5X284 camp. Have a shooter Danny Glover built and it's a hunting machine. I've yet to hear about someone disappointed with one after they build it. While there are a lot of them out there being used I seldom see them for sale. I did sell one last year had over 2,000 rounds through it and still was a 1/2 MOA rifle so if you don't hot rod and shoot the barrel hot I think they'll last a lifetime for a hunting rig. To me 140 VLD's @ 2900-3,000 fps is plenty fast and the 6.5X284 fits the bill.

In my experience no berger hybrid has good accuracy over 3200-3250. I don't think the materials they use can handle the velocity. My guess is around 3250 the tip or part of the rifling grooves cut into the bullet get warm enough to warp (as in, almost melting but not quite) and the bullet is no longer symmetrical so it loses accuracy.
I have found that any berger bullets I use have a really good accuracy node right around 3100-3200 (just before the loss of accuracy) The 264 Win mag might be able to get you into that node, that's what I'd look into, I love the Nosler rounds but 26 is just a little bit too overbore for me to recommend to anyone. I might get one for fun sometime, but it wouldn't be on an expensive proof barrel or anything. On a custom barrel a lucky person will get 900 rounds. 650-700 would be considered average bore life.
To me, the purpose of the 26 Nosler is to get you an extra 650-700 rounds of a shot out throat on a 6.5-284. Set back a thread and ream to 26 Nosler and you'be got a fresh throat!

140 VLD from 26 Nosler @3360 fps
8.jpg

Where is everybody getting load data for the 140 up to 3200fps in a 6.5-284?
I am guessing this must be custom loads worked up until pressure signs are shown?
I am only asking because Berger load data only goes to a little over 3000fps and they recommend a 1-8 twist or faster.

Having owned 4- 6.5X284's 26" -28" barrels on custom actions I question if they are getting 3200 fps (verified data). If so I'm sure there are major pressure issues. I don't believe stated speed with out verified data and drop data. I've yet to see hunting rifles shoot 140's @ 3200 out of a 6.5X284. Not saying they don't exist but I've never seen them. It seem that most of the time we shoot to verify data it is alway slower then the chrony said it was.

Having owned 4- 6.5X284's 26" -28" barrels on custom actions I question if they are getting 3200 fps (verified data). If so I'm sure there are major pressure issues. I don't believe stated speed with out verified data and drop data. I've yet to see hunting rifles shoot 140's @ 3200 out of a 6.5X284. Not saying they don't exist but I've never seen them. It seem that most of the time we shoot to verify data it is alway slower then the chrony said it was.
The 3200+ Speeds on this thread I've been assuming has been with the 26 Nosler, not the 6.5-284. Possibly a long throated 264 Win mag loaded high pressure could get 3200?

I have seen reports of shooters getting 3100-3150FPS out of the 6.5x284 using R-26 in 28-30" barrels. Having tied this powder into three 6.5x284's with 25-26" rifles. The highest velocity I have seen with R-26 is 3050-3100FPS. Accuracy and ES was poor, as was temperature stability at the warmer temperatures. Using Retumbo, my highest velocity with .25MOA accuracy and single digit ES is 3030FPS. I generally run at 2975-3000 FPS with the 140's which IMO provides a good balance of accuracy, temperature stability, terminal ballistics on game to +1000 Yards, and brass/barrel life. My favorite rifle is going on 8 seasons with several dozen game animals taken with no change in original performance.

I have a 28N and I know you wanted to stay with the 6.5 family, if I would have thought about it, when I built my 28N, I would have purchased an extra Barrel and had the Smith create a chamber in the 30N or 33N or hell all three. I guess my point, if a person wanted, you could build all four calibers with the one action. You could swap out barrels when you wanted to change calibers, you could have four Rifles in one. Just purchase a barrel vice and wrench to swap it out. Something to think about.

^^^This^^^ You could make it even easier by using a barrel nut like a savage. I have one in 6.5x284 and am thinking of adding a 280AI barrel to go with it.

I agree with greyfox on the velocity thing. I pushed mine hard and was getting pressure signs at 3100 with so so accuracy. Running Retumbo I'm getting excellent accuracy at 3020 from a 26 inch tube.

I saw a thread here or another site where people talked about running a 105 berger at 3400 from a 240 wby. One even claimed the same numbers from a 6mm AI. I ran mine to press signs at 3100 and backed off to 3050 to get 3 inch groups at 600 yards.

Don't expect what you don't inspect....

I like my 6.5x284
Just did load development today
143 eldx over 48.5 h4831sc seems to be the sweet spot. I can't get to the next node without pushing her harder than I care too.
This is shooting in the high 2's
Haven't chronographed it yet but out of a 24" barrel I'd be surprised if it's much over 2900.
Should be easy on barrel's with this load and do everything I need it to
I never push them too hard, I just buy a bigger gun if I want it to go faster.

I agree with Greyfox also. I've yet to see an excess of 3050 fps out of a 26" barrel and have not seen one shoot accurately @ that speed. RL 26 and Retumbo seemed to give the best speed but with the speed lost accuracy. If someone finds a magic powder I'm all ears!

I have 3 6.5-284's. One with a 28" Hart barrel, one with a 26" Benchmark barrel, one with a 26" Proof barrel. All 8 twist.

I shoot the same load in all 3:
140 Berger Hybrid .010 off of lands
Retumbo in the 57-58gr. Work up in your gun.

The 28" barrel is 3050 fps and the 2 26" barrels are right at 3000 fps.
All are sub ½ moa and ¼ moa on a good day. I have a couple of buddies that I let shoot a group. Both kept their target - best group they've ever shot. 2 different guns. Same load. Mild recoil.

I have shot deer, hogs, and elk. Can't remember anything taking a step.

I have 3 6.5-284's. One with a 28" Hart barrel, one with a 26" Benchmark barrel, one with a 26" Proof barrel. All 8 twist.

All are sub ½ moa and ¼ moa on a good day. I have a couple of buddies that I let shoot a group. Both kept their target - best group they've ever shot. 2 different guns. Same load. Mild recoil.

Sounds like the general consensus of the discussion is leaning toward the 6.5-284 being the better choice. Now with that said

How do you like the Hart Barrel, I was thinking of using those on my next build's?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.