6.5-284 good for it all?

Why'd you rebarrel it? The factory barrel on mine shoots surprisingly accurate. She's a .3 to .5 MOA at distance shooter all day with handloads.
Is my first long-range rifle shot quite a bit it wasn't as accurate as I wanted looking back now some of it was my reloading processes which I refined later

Yeah, 338 dude, and that is an outstanding looking trailer hitch you have on the back of that pick-up truck, also too!
I
1BFF13DC-89AC-4110-990C-A52A4565F78A.jpeg
use it to pull stuff like this

Yep, you are a fine, upstanding man. Now, I just hope your knife sharpener is as good as your trailer load of stuff looks like the sharpener is going to need to be.
Should come clean one buck is my buddies the larger buck and two does were mine and I got them on the single pipeline in the pictures above
28005DF7-A17D-4696-B51A-EA124F2CBF1B.jpeg

Last edited:
Chicken fried backstrap, chili, jerky, and sausage.
I am having trouble with this reply. Sorry 'bout that. You are younger than me, but with the hair, mustache, and goatee, we could be confused as being cousins. I have got to learn how to post pictures. I do have a few small whitetails on my wall, along with a decent mule deer, but I like making sausage and doe meat works as well as trophy bucks for that treat. Got a bad knee kinda keeping me down this year, but I am hoping to get some hogs with my new 1911 pistol. You guys got me thinking about making a long shot on a pig or two just because I have a place with a long view to try it from. Bet you're glad you had help with all those critters!

Should come clean one buck is my buddies the larger buck and two does were mine and I got them on the single pipeline in the pictures aboveView attachment 225272

I was gonna say"gee Bill, leave some for someone else" before I read the post. Weather looks nothing like the storm I was chasing Elk in today. That's a great day afield for sure.

I am having trouble with this reply. Sorry 'bout that. You are younger than me, but with the hair, mustache, and goatee, we could be confused as being cousins. I have got to learn how to post pictures. I do have a few small whitetails on my wall, along with a decent mule deer, but I like making sausage and doe meat works as well as trophy bucks for that treat. Got a bad knee kinda keeping me down this year, but I am hoping to get some hogs with my new 1911 pistol. You guys got me thinking about making a long shot on a pig or two just because I have a place with a long view to try it from. Bet you're glad you had help with all those critters!
Only help was that 4 wheeler you saw I'm the guy that rounds up the deer for everybody else and nobody helped me field dress all three of them either we could be cousins in more ways than one besides looks I have a bad back and two bad knees That's why I am the guy with the four wheeler by the time I was bent over and field dressed all three of those I was Hurtin bad by the way I'm 56 years old

Just seeing every ones thoughts are on what they think is a great all around caliber for North American big game.

I really like the 280s/7mm but the 6.5 284 has me interested
Of course 30-06 works out easily to 400 and ammunition is available. That being said mine has been on the shelf for 2 years. I went to the 28 Nosler once you have brass it's easy to get Bullets, and I recently got the 6.5 PRC which is what I recommend. Very little recoil, was easy to get a recipe that shoots half moa. Again once you get brass there's a lot of Bullets to choose from. I don't believe in ONE caliber to rule them all.

I'm a 6.5 fanatic. I've had a Creedmoor since 2010, I love my 24" AR in 6.5 Grendel, and I've got 6.5 Swedes and Carcanos...but even I built my all North American big game in a bigger caliber. I decided on a 280A.I. and it should cover everything up to black bear, elk and caribou. If I do get to hunt grizzly/brown bear or moose at some point I have a .338 Lapua I would probably tout along instead.
I agree the 6.5 is a great caliber to shoot. Shoot my 6.5 creedmoor for competition. Just got a 6.5 PRC for hunting and got a mule deer doe with it using the 156's at just over 2900 fps. For Elk and moose and hopefully Buffalo soon I use my 28 Nosler and Noslers 175 partition and Berger's 180 vld's at just over 3200 fps

Only help was that 4 wheeler you saw I'm the guy that rounds up the deer for everybody else and nobody helped me field dress all three of them either we could be cousins in more ways than one besides looks I have a bad back and two bad knees That's why I am the guy with the four wheeler by the time I was bent over and field dressed all three of those I was Hurtin bad by the way I'm 56 years old
I am 68 years OLD. I raised 3 boys (taught 'em how to do their own deer) and hunted with folks that were glad to let me field dress their deer and hogs, as well as grind them into sausage, cut them into steaks and roasts, or make them into jerky. I learned to butcher meat in the short amount of time I spent in high school, doing Vocational Agriculture, FFA, (Future Farmers of America.) That got me invited on many hunts, but I believe I have spent more time working on dead animals than hunting live animals. I must have a dozen or more knife sharpeners. Both of my knees are bad, but right now it is the right knee that doesn't work so well. The left one has been cut on three times, but it is in pretty fair shape at the time. My back has bulldozer-itiss. We must be cousins.

Last edited:
Well I'm glad to hear from you cuz we need to get together and do some hunting I'll pull out the deer and I'll let you butcher them

Well I'm glad to hear from you cuz we need to get together and do some hunting I'll pull out the deer and I'll let you butcher them
I was thinking about selling my sausage grinder and stuffing machine but maybe I should wait. Tell ya what, save some deer for next year, and maybe we'll talk about getting together after I see (Monday) what the witch doctor plans to do to get me walking safely again, and maybe we can grind some Texas pig and some Tennessee venison. I'll bring the seasoning mix.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.