6.5-284 good for it all?

6.5x284 is one of the most accurate rifles out there on the market today. If barrel life isn't an issue I would get one. However, my preference would be the 284 Winchester. You get the same match type accuracy but using 7mm bullets instead. The barrel life is a lot better, and I saw Lapua is finally coming out with 284 brass next year too. My vote: 284 Winchester
Although i own neither , my thinking was the same as yours. If planning to shoot big stuff , id skip the necked down 284 and just run the parent cartridge for the bigger pills . Im a big 6.5 fan, but since i dont do western hunts , my 2 rounds for whitetail and hogs are the grendel for the woods and the creedmoor for cutovers and fields.

My son & i had both the 7 mag & 6.5-284. The 6.5-284 was a dream to shoot. Both rifles very accurate. But, with lack of time to do serious reloading, we sold all 4 rifles & got 2 6.5 PRC. Our difference is at 600yds, the 6.5-284 was at 9.0 moa, the PRC is 7.75 moa.
I love our PRCs.
FYI. On the 6.5-284, we used IMR7977. With 143 eldx, we were at 3000fps.

I've been running a 6.5-284 for 4 years and am nothing but happy with it. It is more than capable of taking any North American game or African for that matter with the exception of the largest dangerous game. My only complaint is the cost of brass and available factory ammunition is limited.

I have used the 6.5x284 extensively for over a dozen years for my long range hunting with excellent success. Over this period I have never experienced a shortage of Lapua or Norma brass, and there had been a wide range of excellent high BC bullets available. For hunting usage, I have found barrel life to be no different, and in quite a few cases better then most of the usual cartridges capable of taking game out to 1000 yards. With over 50 deer and antelope taken with the 6.5x284 from 200-1200 yards, the accuracy and terminal performance has been outstanding, and the primary reason I have committed to this cartridge for so many years, with no change in sight,

Last edited:
I'm a 6.5 fanatic. I've had a Creedmoor since 2010, I love my 24" AR in 6.5 Grendel, and I've got 6.5 Swedes and Carcanos...but even I built my all North American big game in a bigger caliber. I decided on a 280A.I. and it should cover everything up to black bear, elk and caribou. If I do get to hunt grizzly/brown bear or moose at some point I have a .338 Lapua I would probably tout along instead.
I only have two long range rifles
939459FA-F6F9-40B3-9B92-ED9FB1C83283.jpeg
the 65 284 I showed earlier and as you said a 338 Lapua between those two rifles I think I have covered all the bases

I only have two long range riflesView attachment 225181 the 65 284 I showed earlier and as you said a 338 Lapua between those two rifles I think I have covered all the bases
You got some good taste. I've got the same 338 and I love it (tad heavy though). Currently I got a 10x42mm SWFA SS on mine but I'm looking to pick up an Arken Optics EP4 6-24x50 for it after I got hands on a buddy's and was beyond impressed. It's hands down better than a PST gen 2 and cheaper to boot.

You got some good taste. I've got the same 338 and I love it (tad heavy though). Currently I got a 10x42mm SWFA SS on mine but I'm looking to pick up an Arken Optics EP4 6-24x50 for it after I got hands on a buddy's and was beyond impressed. It's hands down better than a PST gen 2 and cheaper to boot.
It's a little heavy with that 28 inch bartlien it's about 16 pounds but heavy rifles are accurate and weight tames recoil along with a great brake that one is a terminator T4

Last edited:
Just seeing every ones thoughts are on what they think is a great all around caliber for North American big game.

I really like the 280s/7mm but the 6.5 284 has me interested

——————/-

Are you looking to turn friends against each other!?!? You don't just walk into a group of rifle enthusiast hunters and ask something like this! Nah just kidding, of course this is a conversation that's been had 1000 times but it's a fun one and evidently lots of folks are up for having it again as these kind of questions always garner a lot of feedback.

the 6.5-284 is energetically on par with the 270 win, perhaps a tad weaker BUT not for any distance, it can be regarded as an equal to a 270 at normal range that does better at longer range. I say this because the 270 is often listed as the minimum recommended horsepower for elk and moose by many guides (though no legislature). While the 6.5 is 13 thousandths of an inch skinnier there's no real world difference at all. They shoot bullets of similar weight. The 270 is more ballistically impaired regarding bc, and I hate to admit that! I have a .270, the first rifle I ever owned, given to me when I was 13 after I got my first deer and demonstrated I could put such a gift to good use. It'll do it all, and has light enough recoil for most anyone to learn to shoot excellently with it. I'm glad I didn't start with anything bigger. (What I started with was dads 30-30, then an uncles .303 British, then the neighbours 30-06, then the 270 - they didn't have any savage 30-06s in stock so I got the 270 - so happy in hindsight, I much prefer the 270).
However if asked to recommend a single all purpose North American cartridge I feel the 270/6.5s and even the 7mms to be on the light end for the big stuff. Once again the wisdom of the guides is worth heeding. There are guides who list the .300 win mag as minimum for big bears and for bison if those will ever be on the table. I read recently an article asking a much of moose and elk guides what they'd bring on their own hunt and overwhelmingly the most popular response is a .30 caliber magnum of some kind, the win mag obviously being the most common among such cartridges. That's my vote.

i recommend the .300 win mag as unbeatable as a sensible choice for all purpose hunting in all of North America. I put my money where my mouth is too...my two main go to hunting rifles are a 270 and a .300 win mag.

I've had a 6.5x284 for more than 15 years, built on a Weatherby Ultralightweight. Rifle itself is 6.3#. It's been a good rifle, but with a knack for going Wacky every now and then. I was (am) never satisfied with the velocities I've been able to achieve with it's 25" cut-rifled barrel. Pressure signs show up way too early. Chamber specs may have something to do with it. Next build will be a PRC after talking with 'smiths and manufacturers about the tractability of that round. Just my 2 pennies.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.