6.5-06 build but to AI it or Gibbs it or leave it like it is?

Your 6.5-06 will easily hit 3000 with a 26 inch barrel. I've built 3 or 4 6.5-06ai and they do 3150. Rl26 will get them over 3200.
Shep
Anyone taken a .257 wby to a 6.5? Is this sacrilegious? I love my .257wby dearly, so maybe better to just get another rifle?

I just ordered my 6.5-06 dies. Which cal. brass will give me the least trouble and headaches when resizing and shooting it, ----- 25-06---270---280 ??? I am leaning toward the 270 brass.
I would choose 25-06 brass for a standard 6.5-06. If you are ordering a custom reamer and want to extend the neck length, you could use 270 brass. And then you could call it a 6.5-03.

Funny you should ask that question today. Just last night, I was loading up a bunch of 6.5-06 AI for fireforming. I was wondering to myself what was the point of the extra case capacity by blowing out the shoulder when the loads listed in the manual are for well under case capacity even in a "regular" 6.5-06. So in the Improved, we blow out the case for more powder capacity, but what's the point if the most accurate loads, and even the maximum loads, are well under max case capacity?

Last edited:
It make sense to me to start at the bottom. Then, if you find you are not where you want to be velocity-wise, you can always work up.

Funny you should ask that question today. Just last night, I was loading up a bunch of 6.5-06 Imp 40 for fireforming. I was wondering to myself what was the point of the extra case capacity by blowing out the shoulder when the loads listed in the manual are for well under case capacity even in a "regular" 6.5-06. So in the Improved, we blow out the case for more powder capacity, but what's the point if the most accurate loads, and even the maximum loads, are well under max case capacity.
If you aren't getting good case fill with a 140 gr bullet, you are probably using the wrong powder.

Wanting to build a 6.5-06 but the question is to A.I. it or Gibbs it or leave it like it is? I would like to get 2900 to 3000 fps with a 140 grain bullet. I am not sure I can get this with a regular 6.5-06. The barrel is a Hart 27 inch SS, sendero contour, fluted and threaded for a brake or ? I do not want to go with a build on a short mag case, cause I am using a std. long action Rem. 700. I am 75 yrs young and have been reloading since I was in my late teens. I need something a little more than the 6.5 creedmoore. I have a .264 win mag just want something in between. Thanks in advance for your time.
I was fixing to forward this to you! Then I recognized the author! The MX8 shot good toda By the way.

If you aren't getting good case fill with a 140 gr bullet, you are probably using the wrong powder.
According to my Nosler manual #8, all the powders are that way - some more than others. These are percentage of case fill for MAX loads listed for each powder
N160 84%
H4831 83%
IMR 4831 82%
H4350 83%
Hunter 80%
RL22 89%
IMR 4350 79%
RL19 85%
N165 91%
So what I'm wondering is why increase case capacity when for MAX listed charge for each powder is already well under max capacity BEFORE blowing out the shoulder? I'm doing it anyway, because that's what my chamber is, but I am wondering what is gained by increasing the case capacity.

More capacity is like more cubic inches in an engine. More powder ran at same pressure is more speed. Look at h1000 and retumbo. For more speed yet go to rl26 it has ground up unicorn dust and pixie dust and dried fairy tears and Elvis makes it in jamaca.
Shep

According to my Nosler manual #8, all the powders are that way - some more than others. These are percentage of case fill for MAX loads listed for each powder
N160 84%
H4831 83%
IMR 4831 82%
H4350 83%
Hunter 80%
RL22 89%
IMR 4350 79%
RL19 85%
N165 91%
So what I'm wondering is why increase case capacity when for MAX listed charge for each powder is already well under max capacity BEFORE blowing out the shoulder? I'm doing it anyway, because that's what my chamber is, but I am wondering what is gained by increasing the case capacity.
RL22 is the only powder on that list I would consider and it wouldn't be my first choice. I would start with H1000. But, as has been said, when you increase the chamber size the powder capacity requirements will change.

You gotta be careful with pushing the limits on the "Book" loads. I do it all the time but in 1/2 grain increments. If I see the first sign of pressure I stop back off 3 tenths or to the last 1/2 grain and check it again.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.