6.5-06 build but to AI it or Gibbs it or leave it like it is?

If I wanted another 6.5, the logical step down from my 6.5-300 BEE would be the new 6.5 RPM BEE. 3000 fps w/140 factory ammo and rifle. Might not have the cool factor of a wildcat but would be alot more sellable when you get bored. Also is suggested that it's a better case design than the 30-06. Doubt I would build one as I have six 6.5s and could always load down my 6.5-300 BEE or rechamber my 6.5x55 Tikka to AI. Could probably edge 3000 w/140s w/modern powders.

That muddied the water a little as I remember now that you can buy 6.5X280 ack. Imp. brass may have to rethink this!

If you use '06 brass, you will end up with brass that is .015" shorter than it should be! This can cause carbon ring build up and other issues that can be avoided by just using 270 brass in the first place.
I would never use any 06 length brass to foem an A.I. or a Sherman.

So I assume that you trim the .270 case to just fit into the AI chamber then, since it's .050 longer than an .06 case. Or is there enough room to accommodate the longer neck?

Make the little tool to measure your neck length precisely. Then trim brass to just fit. When you fireform they will shrink around .010 and be good. You can leave them long and do the cow method and then trim also. Both ways work.
Shep

That muddied the water a little as I remember now that you can buy 6.5X280 ack. Imp. brass may have to rethink this!
Lapua makes 6.5-284 brass. The capacity of those cases is similar to an 06 case and loading tools are plentiful.

So can someone splain' to me why you would want a wildcat when there is a factory supported cartridge with a better design, same performance that fits an 06' action and case head ?

Wanting to build a 6.5-06 but the question is to A.I. it or Gibbs it or leave it like it is? I would like to get 2900 to 3000 fps with a 140 grain bullet. I am not sure I can get this with a regular 6.5-06. The barrel is a Hart 27 inch SS, sendero contour, fluted and threaded for a brake or ? I do not want to go with a build on a short mag case, cause I am using a std. long action Rem. 700. I am 75 yrs young and have been reloading since I was in my late teens. I need something a little more than the 6.5 creedmoore. I have a .264 win mag just want something in between. Thanks in advance for your time.
270wsm or 7saum both in between

Wanting to build a 6.5-06 but the question is to A.I. it or Gibbs it or leave it like it is? I would like to get 2900 to 3000 fps with a 140 grain bullet. I am not sure I can get this with a regular 6.5-06. The barrel is a Hart 27 inch SS, sendero contour, fluted and threaded for a brake or ? I do not want to go with a build on a short mag case, cause I am using a std. long action Rem. 700. I am 75 yrs young and have been reloading since I was in my late teens. I need something a little more than the 6.5 creedmoore. I have a .264 win mag just want something in between. Thanks in advance for your time.
I went with the 6.5/06 because I wanted to keep the reloading simple I did go with a 26" Lilja barrel shooting 143 ELD X at 2960

Attachments

• 20CBB684-2ED0-4DD2-A48E-3F77280FE61A.jpeg
    20CBB684-2ED0-4DD2-A48E-3F77280FE61A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 161
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.