6.5-06 build but to AI it or Gibbs it or leave it like it is?

Going with the 6.5-'06 as the OP indicated is a good choice.

The .264 Magnum will do just about as well as any with respect to wind drift at the longest ranges. In other words, not much to be gained with the very largest cases. The unvarnished 6.5-'06 offers a nice intermediate level of performance with perhaps a little less recoil.

Yes, at 75 (I am almost that old too!) recoil should be a greater consideration that when we were younger and had to "prove our manhood" by demonstrating how much abuse we could take. Looking back, a .243 Winchester would have been a lot better for me that the .378 Weatherby I used during college...

Wanting to build a 6.5-06 but the question is to A.I. it or Gibbs it or leave it like it is? I would like to get 2900 to 3000 fps with a 140 grain bullet. I am not sure I can get this with a regular 6.5-06. The barrel is a Hart 27 inch SS, sendero contour, fluted and threaded for a brake or ? I do not want to go with a build on a short mag case, cause I am using a std. long action Rem. 700. I am 75 yrs young and have been reloading since I was in my late teens. I need something a little more than the 6.5 creedmoore. I have a .264 win mag just want something in between. Thanks in advance for your time.

So.............we were reloading while dinosaurs were still walking the earth. I'm close behind you in age, started reloading when I was fifteen-years old. I had a mentor who knew what he was doing, he taught me a great and fun hobby/sport. I have a gunsmith whose opinion I respect tremendously. He's built a few rifles for me, and he is about the build my son's Christmas present; .300WinMag. Recently I bought a Ruger 77 for a build I have been thinking about for a long time, and....like you I wanted a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved to complement my Ruger 77 in .270 Ackley Improved. With the .270 AI I really do not know the reason for a 6.5-06, but.......that's one of those things that we do sometimes; want not need. Anyway I asked him if he had a 6.5-06 Ackley Improved re3amer, he told me that he didn't. He said that he didn't because he did not believe there was enough difference between the 6.5-06 and the 6.5-06 AI to make it worth while. He also told me that he has a mountain rifle that he is in the process of building for himself and it too is in 6.5-06. I thought about his comment, did some research and found that there really isn't that much difference between the two, and.....for my shooting capabilities, and for what I am going to be hunting, maybe my gunsmith is right. I have the .270AI because I wanted to experience reloading for a wildcat cartridge. I like the .270 Winchester, and like the .270 AI and the performance that I get out of it. But.......its ballistics are right in line with the .270 Winchester Short Magnum, and.....there's "maybe" a bit more performance out of the .270 AI, but....for me personally not that much to make a difference between the two cartridges. Presently I am using Nosler brass to fireform/hydroform the .270AI, it's interesting and challenging, but I am only getting around four reloads out of my brass before I start finding loose primer pockets or necks starting to split. If I had it to do over again I'd do the .270WSM instead of the Ackley, only for the reason that I don't have to fireform brass. If you have a lot of time and would like to load for a wildcat cartridge then by all means go for it. For me personally I would prefer to have the option and...."capabilities" of purchasing brass off of the shelve and reloading it if I choose to. With this long and drawn out story, my next build with be a straight 6.5-06. Good luck with your build and enjoy it, at this age I have learned that this life is not a dress rehearsal.

Wanting to build a 6.5-06 but the question is to A.I. it or Gibbs it or leave it like it is? I would like to get 2900 to 3000 fps with a 140 grain bullet. I am not sure I can get this with a regular 6.5-06. The barrel is a Hart 27 inch SS, sendero contour, fluted and threaded for a brake or ? I do not want to go with a build on a short mag case, cause I am using a std. long action Rem. 700. I am 75 yrs young and have been reloading since I was in my late teens. I need something a little more than the 6.5 creedmoore. I have a .264 win mag just want something in between. Thanks in advance for your time.
The 6;5 sherman long is based on the 270 winchester case. I have a 28" kreiger barrel and can run the berger 140 vld to 3321 fps with 65.5 gr. vv n570. It shoots best with 64.5 gr. at 3250. A 6.5-06 can be changed to a 6.5 sherman by simply running Riches reamer down the chamber, thats what I did with mine. Nosler and RWS both make good 270 brass.

Hello Sir. I'm someone who has always been "around guns" and own a several. But can you teach me what you mean by A.I. and Gibbs. Thank you for the information and have a blessed day. TH

Ackley and Gibbs are wildcatters and made improvements on parent cartridges. Out of respect to the OP, please take no offense but may I suggest you start another thread so do not hijack his thread. Cheers!

So can someone splain' to me why you would want a wildcat when there is a factory supported cartridge with a better design, same performance that fits an 06' action and case head ?
Since I reload I figured why not build something different. I also used a Proof Carbon barrel, why spend all that money on a barrel when a regular barrel would shoot just a good? Cause it looks cool and you don't see a lot of them. When I build custom guns I want just that, custom. When you see the gun it's pretty obvious it's not off the shelf, that's what I like.

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_195441__01.jpg
    IMG_20200427_195441__01.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 85
In case anyone is interested in some good reading about the Gibbs line, attached is some stuff I scanned years ago.

I shoot a 338 Gibbs made on a Ruger No. 12517.jpg

I love it.

Attachments

• Gibbs Part 1, Chapter 1-4.pdf
    11.8 MB · Views: 172
  • Gibbs Part 1, Chapter 5-8.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 127
  • Gibbs Part 2, Chapter 1-4.pdf
    9.6 MB · Views: 130
  • Gibbs Part 2, Chapter 5-9.pdf
    13.3 MB · Views: 109
I built a 6.5/06ai on a 27" 7.5tw. It ran the 147@ 3120 and the 150smk @3110 in it's node. I saw pressure just under 3200fps with Rl26. I sold it at 68 rounds so it sped up some. The current owner is running H 1000 with the 150smk @ 3084fps. ES is 3fps over 5 shots. He ran Rl26 for the first 250 rds but didn't like the fact the throat was moving more than he liked. H1000 and the 150smk shoot incredible but he will see a shiny spot on his brass on occasion. Rl 26 doesn't show the same pressure at faster speeds. I think VV 170 would shoot the same as H1000 with the same stability without the pressure or wear as Rl26. I don't think VV170 will shoot quite as fast as Rl26. VV570 is double based so although fast speeds might happen so will accelerated barrel wear brought on by the double based powder.
Good luck if 3100fps is the goal longer barrels and shorter barrel life will work in the AI version. The Sherman versions, the saum or wsm would be a better choice. As would an RPM, 264mag, or another magnum wildcat.

They both have to do with powder space (both the Ackley Improved and the Gibbs design) which is increased and therefore velocity is up, as a general rule.

Try that 142 gr Nosler Accubond LR. Our little group of trouble makers shoots them in two 6.5 Creeds and a .260 Remington with great results. They have better performance on game than the 143 ELD-X--no worries about "explosive" performance at close range and through and through at longer range. Great BC and SD as well. That said, no perfect bullet so try 'em all.

Thanks for the answers. I thought there might be some performance superiority I had overlooked. "Because that's what I wanted " is reason enuf.

God bless you then!

God bless you then!

Uhhh NO! Ill ask what I want to ask. May I suggest you kiss my grits!

I don't like to see this stuff, "May I suggest you kiss my grits!" There's no call for it, stuff like this just doesn't belong here!! I belong and read this post so I can get information, share information and have conversations with others who have like interests, not this kind of BS! We're all here to learn and to give our opinions "period"!! I hate it when a thread goes sideways like this!! If you don't like what someone has said, there's a box under the person's initial handle, click on their handle, find the box and check "ignore", that ends it!! The OP is looking for people's input, I'm sure he doesn't want to read this stuff. Like FEENIX I'd suggest that you either initiate another thread, or do a search in the "search" box at the top of the page.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.