460 S&W rifle

Thanks for the quick response W76.
Your input is much appreciated and it's good to see you're still looking in..

I'll look up the Maker Bullets and see what they have in stock. I also live in Michigan (~1.75 hours East of you) and have never heard of Maker...
thanks for the tip.

Ballistically speaking, your 24" max assertion falls in line with a published analysis by MGM Barrels, emphasis being on heavier bullets (250-300g).
With respect to lighter (200g) bullets, the initial post by JEC is very much in line with the MGM study. MGM's 200g bullet plot shows fairly consistent (albeit small) velocity decrease with an incrementally shortened barrel from 27" to 13". The plots are on the following link, 3/4 down the page..

From what I can see, ballistically speaking, you're both right.

I didn't select the 26" barrel for any ballistic advantage ... I agree >24" would be overkill for heavier (250-300g) bullets.

The Encore is generally lighter than other rifles and I've seen many accounts of punishing recoil/muzzle rise with this system.
The added forward weight my ported 26" bull barrel provides should help tame the reported nastiness. The Encore system is also shorter than bolt/lever action systems, so a longer barrel doesn't affect portability/maneuverability as much.

I'll PM you as I collect data.

Is there anyone else here that's used the Barnes TTSX 250g or Barnes TSX 275g bullets in a S&W 460 rifle or Handgun (10" S&W Performance Center)?

Thanks, -H-

I sure hope it is quieter in the rifle than it is in the revolver.
Im convinced this would be a good lever action cartridge.
Ruger did build a #1 in this caliber

they had one for sale but it was one of those scamm sites

Last edited:
No experience with the barnes bullets but i load both 260gr Nosler Partition and my favorite, 260gr Platinum Tips (H110, Large Rifle Magnum primers, Hornady and Starline brass) 2620fps out of my Ruger No.1 22" barrel.
I live in the Thumb but I even carry this thing in the UP from time to time.