460s&w bolt action rifle

Deer mangler

I'm kicking around the idea of building a bolt action rifle in 460s&w. I'm not going to build this myself but want to start gathering info and the desired components for the build. I'm thinking barrel leangth of 22"-24" heavy contour but as far as twist I'm not sure what would be good. What's the correct action and bolt face for something like this? Any input or direction would be great also pros and cons to the idea are welcome. Thank you

I'm kicking around the idea of building a bolt action rifle in 460s&w. I'm not going to build this myself but want to start gathering info and the desired components for the build. I'm thinking barrel leangth of 22"-24" heavy contour but as far as twist I'm not sure what would be good. What's the correct action and bolt face for something like this? Any input or direction would be great also pros and cons to the idea are welcome. Thank you

The 460 s&w is a great cartridge but to build/chamber it is a bolt action rifle has many challenges.
(I have built one)

First = the bullet diameter is .452 (Not .458 like the rifle bullets)and requires a different barrel bore.
Second = It also requires a totally different twist rate because of the short, light bullets and the
lower velocity.
Third = an action with a flat face bolt is required because of the rimed case and extractor groves must be machined into the breach.

After all of these issues are over come you will only have accuracy out to about 150 yards (100 yards it will be very accurate but at 200 yards the bullet will not stabilize because of it's ballistics.

with a lot of care and load experimentation you may be able to get results to 200 yards.

It is a fun rifle, and is nice to have a rifle and pistol that shoots the same ammo but based on difficulty of finding all the parts to build it and it's limited accurate distance I would not recommend this cartridge in a rifle. My brother-in-law lives in Michigan
and he wanted something that he could deer hunt with after the new rules were passed that was better than a shotgun.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I have researched this extensively. For a bolt action rifle, it will probably be easiest to go with a 45 Raptor.

The 45 Raptor IS a 460SW without a rim. To reload the 45 Raptor you use the 460SW dies and data.

The 45 Raptor also uses a standard 308 bolt face so that would make building a gun simple. And it will cycle easier because it doesn't have a rim.

PT&G sell reamers for the 45 Raptor.

You can still fire 45 Raptor ammo from a 460SW handgun if you use moon clips.

If you don't mind the look of a "tactical" rifle, you can also build a 45 Raptor on an AR10 platform. There are prefit barrels and magazines available. Bolt group stays the same because it uses a 308 bolt. Only a barrel change is needed. It's legal to hunt in MI with a semi auto as long as the mag only holds 5 rounds so I've thought about going this route.

TC makes a single shot in 460SW.

There is a company near Lansing MI that makes custom bolt rifles in 450 Bushmaster and something they call 460SW Improved (which is also a 460SW without a rim and I'm guessing identical to the 45 Raptor).
Muzzleloader - Long Range Muzzleloader - Custom Muzzleloader: Ultimate Firearms
Although I just went to their webpage and it only lists the 450 Bushmaster now. If you want a bolt rifle already to go, might be worth giving them a call.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the response guys. I think I might have to keep looking into this more. Seems way more complicated then I originally thought it would be.
Maybe the best course of action might be to buy a barrel from MGM for my tc pro Hunter and I like the 460sw in rifle form then I can go from there.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.