Mauser Action Bolt Issue

Tumbleweed

Hi guys, I could really use some help identifying this action/bolt as well as troubleshooting a problem that I am having. First, the barrel reads:
STA Barbara Spain- Marathon Products Inc. Weth, CT Sportsman 7RMag
I was told this could be a Mauser 98 action?
This is a friend's old rifle and I was given the task of working up a long range load using Remingtom brass and Berger 168VLDs. I discovered that the bolt will not close even on unfired remington brass. I have to apply excessive pressure the last 1/8" and work the handle forcibly to get it to close all the way. It seems to knip a slight bit of brass off of the edge of the case rim. The bolt closes normally with no cartridge in the chamber. It also closes just fine if I clip the cartridge in the holder/extractor at the end of the bolt and push feed it. My friend claims that he has never had this issue before but apparently had some work done to the rifle within the last year. To me it appears to be some kind of clearance problem with the hooked edge on the extractor and the rim of the case but I can't seem to narrow it down yet. Any experience with this action and what may be causing this? Thanks for your help!

BTW, it shoots great and is nearly .5 MOA at 750 yards, under 7fps ES and nearly no vertical dispersion at that distance.

IMG_20130829_195349.jpg

IMG_20130829_195332.jpg

IMG_20130829_195312.jpg

IMG_20130829_195258.jpg

It sounds to me like you're trying to feed a single round into a Mauser action by laying it on the follower and closing the bolt. If so, Mauser actions don't work that way. You have to insert the round all the way into the magazine and then close the bolt. It's called controlled round feeding.

Some commercial mausers and other controlled feed actions have beveled extractors to allow the extractor to snap over the rim of a cartridge that is single fed.

I haven't looked around for them, but I believe beveled commercial type extractors can be had. I am also pretty sure a decent smith could bevel your existing extractor.

Another option is a single shot follower:

Score-High Bench Rest Single Shot Follower Mauser 93 94 95 96 98 FN 98

Thanks for the input fellas. I actually just repaired the problem. I got out the rifle and was really looking the bolt over. As you'll see in photo number 2 above, the extractor has a bevel on it that 'should' allow the cartridge base to push it out and clip the rim of the shell. I realized that there really wasn't a sharp enough bevel on the extractor in this area and it didn't come to a very sharp edge either. I got out my dremel and made the taper/bevel longer and more gradual coming down to almost a sharp edge. I polished it up smooth with some 1500 grit and now all the rounds chamber fine. I'm glad it was simple:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.