mauser 98 bolt catch

lumbertm

So I have had this rifle for some time kicking around. I was going to put it back together someday however I seem to have a problem. Somewhere along the lines I have managed to break the tabs for the bolt catch. Maybe somebody knows if this can be fixed or if it is now a paper weight.

Attachments

• 20160229_123736.jpg
    20160229_123736.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 142
I'd say it's a paperweight unless it's some ultra-rare variant and you have all of the original parts. They could probably be hard-soldered back on or something like that, but alignment might be an issue. If you've got all the other parts, I'd probably just try to find a new receiver. The commercial versions (no stripper-clip thumb cutout) are a little harder to come by but they're out there.

Just remember that the stripped receiver is legally a firearm so it can't be used as a true paperweight at work in lots of places (as cool as that would be), especially if you work for the Federal Govt. They tend to frown upon that from what I'm told. :D

Matt

Ya it's commercial a old sears I was thinking maybe tig but I am not sure how the heat would affect it.

Interarms & other Mauser stripped rec's can often be found for $100-$150 so I use that as a paperweight as stated.

Wonder how those tabs broke they are pretty tough.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.