Bolt handle bending on a 98 Mauser

Bruce Conzo

How do you bend a bolt handle using an acetylene torch? I have a set of Numirich Arms bending blocks and a heat sync, which screws into the back of the bolt body. The bolt handle sticks straight out of the blocks. Can anyone explain a step by step procedure or supply a video or illustration on how it is done? Thanks.

Bruce,

You should be aware that this sounds like a simple DIY project for some rainy/snowy afternoon but as you will find out, it requires some skill and a good set of eyeballs. :eek: Go ahead with the bending if you insist but when you finish and the bolt handle is too short and looks less perfect than you anticipated, send it off to a good gunsmith to have the original handle cut off and new, modern design bolt handle welded on. You'll be glad you did.:);)

TeeleMauser.JPG
send it off to a good gunsmith to have the original handle cut off and new, modern design bolt handle welded on. You'll be glad you did. +1 i know this is a 38 not a 98
P1010550.JPG

Last edited:
When forging a bolt handle, lots of problems and unintended consiquences can be encountered along the way, besides ending up with an unsightly handle. Lots of 'pit-falls' to be avoided that can ruin a bolt, making it completely un-usable.

Did this years ago when all the TURK mausers showed up for $59 each.

they had burned out barrels and 2x4 rough cut stocks.

I cut a piece of aluminum to insert into the body as a heat sink and wrapped the rest of it with a wet towel.

BTW I found the best way was to cut or grind the bottom bolt body near the base then heat/bend. then TIG the gap and grind/polish until it looks like professional.

Also it helped to grind the backside of the bolt knob flat. this gave more room between it and he stock to help get your hand in there also gave a nice grip to grab that bolt handle.

This is one I believe I cut the top of the bolt handle and bent it down/weld/grind.

It was fun and a good leaning experience.

BTW-- that rifle is still in 8mm and shoots amazing.
I gave most of the others away to my buddy's as presents after re-barreled them to new calibers.

Attachments

• IMG_2465.JPG
    IMG_2465.JPG
    634.9 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_2464.JPG
    IMG_2464.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 265
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.