Bending Christensen Arms Bolt Handle

Caleb777

Has anyone bent their bolt handle on their Christensen Arms rifles? I hear a lot of complaints about them not clearing the scopes or just barely clearing..making it uncomfortable and slow to work the action. I have experienced the latter with a vortex pst on the rifle. Now looking to go to a smaller objective lens optic and I fear it will move me even closer to the bolt handle when I put lower rings on…further decreasing my clearance. I don't see why a little heat and putting a few more degrees of bend in the handle would hurt anything?? The worst I could see is the bolt clearance in the stock needing a little opening afterwards.

Has anyone bent their bolt handle on their Christensen Arms rifles? I hear a lot of complaints about them not clearing the scopes or just barely clearing..making it uncomfortable and slow to work the action. I have experienced the latter with a vortex pst on the rifle. Now looking to go to a smaller objective lens optic and I fear it will move me even closer to the bolt handle when I put lower rings on…further decreasing my clearance. I don't see why a little heat and putting a few more degrees of bend in the handle would hurt anything?? The worst I could see is the bolt clearance in the stock needing a little opening afterwards.
I have altered bolts with a forging block , but would not do what you are suggesting . I would get a scope with a smaller ocular or use higher rings .

I have altered bolts with a forging block , but would not do what you are suggesting . I would get a scope with a smaller ocular or use higher rings .
But should one really have to compromise cheek weld for a poor angle of approach on a bolt handle? Seems as though modifying the bolt handle would be the cure, rather than use calipers to measure every scope I can get my hands on for a smaller ocular ring and settle for "x" model of scope just because it clears. Maybe it's just two different ways of looking at it?
If you would, please explain the "forging block"? Is that referring to the bolt handle being welded to the bolt body rather than an independent piece as I've noticed on other actions?

But should one really have to compromise cheek weld for a poor angle of approach on a bolt handle? Seems as though modifying the bolt handle would be the cure, rather than use calipers to measure every scope I can get my hands on for a smaller ocular ring and settle for "x" model of scope just because it clears. Maybe it's just two different ways of looking at it?
If you would, please explain the "forging block"? Is that referring to the bolt handle being welded to the bolt body rather than an independent piece as I've noticed on other actions?
No me and my dad forged and bent bolts for 98 mausers , they hold the bolt while you forge them . When you forge with blocks the blocks let the base of the handle bottom out in the blocks and forms the bolt . In your case without the blocks you stand a chance of bending the bolt where the stock and metal at the bottom of the cut out notch will need too be recut also , so be extremely careful , not too mess up a fine rifle .

Yes, as you dont have any choice. Sure you can pay for a custom designed and built gun. It is just like all things have always been. Things change and the pros and cons take a while to get out. Just like short stubby scopes now that won't fit certain actions without certain rings etc. You will find what works for you. I have a phone call this morning with Defiance explaining some of this exact thing to them, so buyers can at least have the information when they purchase an action and certain rings together.

Would also suggest a lot of heat stop or even a water bath to prevent any of the heat from getting into the bolt handle/bolt body area. The handle will be annealed when you are done if you don't hot oil quench but shouldn't be an issue.

Recent Posts