Timing bolt handle?

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
I’ve read about removing the handle on a rem 700 and setting the timing, but haven’t found a good video showing how with fixtures, etc. Is the practice pretty protected? Thanks

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
I had watched most of his videos and totally missed the 6 part attaching a bolt handle series. Thanks. Time to try it out....

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
i watched this 6 part vid by Alex

then watched this guy. He did a nice job

Just need to make a jig and see if I can find more info about tig v torch. Sold my torch since I hardly ever used it. Doubt the plasma cutter would work well for this :(

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
Straight Shot Gunsmithing does it and they do a great job... there is a video on his website showing the process... he is also a member here (308Nate)...

Couldn’t get the attaching and timing video to play. Is it my iPad? I’ll try the pc later. Thanks

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
First, I am not a tig guy. Love my stick and mig, but have never got an itch for tig. That said, I have a Hobart tig setup, but would rather hit myself in the .... so to get this handle back on, what is the best way with my tig setup? Has anyone spot welded with a mig? Sold my torch, so I’d rather not drive around to borrow someone else’s.

couesaddict

I've never done any rifle work with a tig by any means so I may be speaking somewhat out of turn, but I found myself having to do more and more repair work with one and the best resource I've had so far in learning the ins and outs of the process is weldingtipsandtricks.com. I'm still no tig hand by any means but I can stumble through now. He does a good job of discussing tungsten grinding and setting up the machine. Might help to take a look and cut some coupons to practice on for a confidence booster.

Mram10us

LRH Team Member
I've never done any rifle work with a tig by any means so I may be speaking somewhat out of turn, but I found myself having to do more and more repair work with one and the best resource I've had so far in learning the ins and outs of the process is weldingtipsandtricks.com. I'm still no tig hand by any means but I can stumble through now. He does a good job of discussing tungsten grinding and setting up the machine. Might help to take a look and cut some coupons to practice on for a confidence booster.
Watched lots of his vids when I was trying to get better at aluminum tig. Hate tig. Idahoctd is great at tig ... me, not so much

bigngreen

Tig isn't that hard to do on a bolt handle BUT over all that's about all I can tig, you kinda need the same set up jig either way Tig or High temp solder. You can mig one on but it's to hot of a temp and while it's stuck it will move stuff and crystalize. I hate doing handles regardless of method, when I do it I like to put on a Hollands handle because of it's better geometry on the cam.

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce