Timing bolt handle?

Tig isn't that hard to do on a bolt handle BUT over all that's about all I can tig, you kinda need the same set up jig either way Tig or High temp solder. You can mig one on but it's to hot of a temp and while it's stuck it will move stuff and crystalize. I hate doing handles regardless of method, when I do it I like to put on a Hollands handle because of it's better geometry on the cam.
I planned on trimming it up like Alex mentions. Have I mentioned, I hate tig? it's made for 3 hands and a foot

I have a rotary indexer that I can set to whatever speed. All the way down to 2 rpm. I could use it for tig too. Makes doing any welding on rounds really easy.

Why not just silver solder and a little handheld torch with the little propane/butane bottles? As for the tig, if you have a tight fit between the bolt and the handle you can tack the handle on without a filler once you get it located correctly. After that point you can get it in a good position and then tack the entire thing using a filler.

Why not just silver solder and a little handheld torch with the little propane/butane bottles? As for the tig, if you have a tight fit between the bolt and the handle you can tack the handle on without a filler once you get it located correctly. After that point you can get it in a good position and then tack the entire thing using a filler.
Will a hand held plumbers torch be hot enough?

can you please tell us more about this laser welder? That looks super clean! I was ready to buy a new tig welder just for this but I'm intrigued with this laser welder
Laser welders are expensive, as the type of lasers they use are regulated by the government. But, they are awesome! I use down to .005" filler rod. They put virtually no heat into what your working on. I can lay a weld and then immediately lay my fingers over it. Another cool thing is it only works on something the laser bounces off of, so you can take a clear plastic, lay any colored plastic under it and then weld "thru" the clear and melt the lower plastic to the upper.

I weld watching a screen with crosshairs on it. 64143028-9B1D-496A-A0B2-890E701989B7.jpeg

livetohunt

Are you in the gun repair business or do you only work on your personal stuff?

I do production work on it, and some mold/die repair. Might try to find more work for it soon, but considering I'm in the middle of trying to purchase a cnc machine shop, the laser welding might take the back burner.

Im surprised other companies don't laser weld there bolts, it looks so much cleaner and consistent and doesn't put heat into the part like TIG.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.